P. Metallica concerns

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey all,
I have had a P. metallica for a while now and it has not molted yet. It's a sling, maybe 1". I have offered foor daily and it wont touch it. When i first got it it would destroy pinheads. now it wont touch them, nor larger food. I dont see any blackening of the abdomen nor any behavior that would suggest molting soon, other than the not eating thing. The sling seems happy and content, just no eating. the abdomen is not terribly small but not very plump either. I havent seen any food disappear in probibaly 2 weeks.

any thoughts?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You probably won't notice the abdomen darkening up in Poecilotheria metallica, the way you would a new worlder. Look to the sternum. I've noticed metallica darken up pretty good there in pre-molt. Of course this is a lot more obvious in 'slings than in sub-adult to adult.
john

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If a metallica of that size is not eating, expect a molt.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well yes Eric i suspect a molt, but a sling of this size would normally have molted by now. I've never seen a sling go off food for more than two weeks (actually closer to almost 3 weeks)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd try different prey items, if possible. IME, Ts will show some food preferences at different stages of their lives. Given the value of this particular species, trying out a few different food items is well worth the trouble.

Karen N.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
well yes Eric i suspect a molt, but a sling of this size would normally have molted by now. I've never seen a sling go off food for more than two weeks (actually closer to almost 3 weeks)
I recently had a P. regalis s'ling go for almost a month without eating. I have also had some very small (1/4" to 1/2") G. rosea s'lings go for about 2 months. These little G. rosea s'lings last molted late December. I also have a G. aureostriata that has sealed itself in a burrow for the last two months. It is amazing how long some of these s'lings will go without food.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hope that it is just a picky eater. I dont want to lose this one.

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
Hey all,
I have had a P. metallica for a while now and it has not molted yet. It's a sling, maybe 1".
how long have you had it ?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have one at home that didn't eat for a while either. It did molt and wasn't eating anything I offered it. I put it in a smaller container and it finally ate.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
it is currently in a 50 dram vial.
That certainly isn't too large. You could always try increasing the temperature a little to increase the metabolism.

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
Yeah, especially if it's a P metallica. You should post some pics if possible.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
My metallica exhibited the same behaviour. After several weeks I began to worry. I mean the one molted up to 5-6 weeks after the other two !
T

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i cant post pics because my camera is on its way back to samsung for a warranty replacement. but i can say that with almost 60 T's they have their own room, which is kept at around 80 degrees. and at night i run a humidifier. the humidity in the room sits around 60-70%.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 2 of my smaller metallica molting at the same time today and it's been at least 3 weeks since they last ate. I wouldn't worry much at this point.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
normally i would not worry. However this spider was "expensive" so naturally i am worried. A 300$ spider is not easily replaced, especially when in limited quantity.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
normally i would not worry. However this spider was "expensive" so naturally i am worried. A 300$ spider is not easily replaced, especially when in limited quantity.

you've got a point there :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
I know exactly how you feel. Mine worries me more than my others too.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you guys are lucky you have them..i still need to get one...they are soooo freakin expensive in canada though..