Surviving chances

Dephiax

Arachnopeon
I just wondered (since i want to buy a T but my parents keep asking questions, including this one...) What are the chances of survival for a spiderling? I want to buy a spiderling so I can see the T grow up and stuff. Ofcourse the conditions for the spider will be as good as possible. I'm thinking of a G. Rosea.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chances are very good as long as its cared for properly....

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

AcidQueen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Chances are very high for rosea, since this species is very easy maintainance :)
Just make sure that the substrate isn't dried out and that they have a piece of cork bark or something for shelter.

Greets Acid

Dephiax

Arachnopeon
So they won't die "by accident" since some animals can die naturaly in their first few weeks of life

AcidQueen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there´s always a chance, but don´t worry too much about that.
It has already survived the nymph stadium and probably the first few molts, so it should be strong enough when kept in the right conditions ;)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dephiax said:
So they won't die "by accident" since some animals can die naturaly in their first few weeks of life
If you get one that is about 3/4" to 1" inch, as long as you care for it properly, the chance it will survive is very good. By the time they have reached that size, they have molted a few times. The spiderlings that succumb to the "failure to thrive" syndrome usually die within their first one or two molts.

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when you guys size T's, are you measuring from chelicera to spinnerets, or leg span??

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dephiax, you are aware that generally spiderlings are MORE difficult to take care of than the adults, correct?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bellis said:
when you guys size T's, are you measuring from chelicera to spinnerets, or leg span??

leg 1 right side to leg 4 left side

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its dumb question tuesday!

is there a special reason for that?? it seems to me it would be easier to measure from end-to-end :(

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think it is just convention

i have also read some ppl measure body length for slings and legspan for everything else

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
AcidQueen said:
Just make sure that the substrate isn't dried out and that they have a piece of cork bark or something for shelter.

Greets Acid
I agree with the shelter part, but for this species the substrate needs to be pretty much dried out. G. rosea (even as slings) like things nice and dry with occasionally some water offered on the walls, etc.

AcidQueen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I agree with the shelter part, but for this species the substrate needs to be pretty much dried out. G. rosea (even as slings) like things nice and dry with occasionally some water offered on the walls, etc.

I've never kept Grammostola spec., so thanks for the info :) I never let it dry out completely with other terrestrial species.

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. rosea care

The single most important thing to remember is to not slouch on maintenance. If you keep this one rule in mind, you (and the T) should be fine :)

Also, in the very unlikely event that you do get a sling that dies accidentaly and unexpectedly, G. rosea are one of the most resonably priced Ts in the trade.

Best of luck to you convincing your folks (LOL) {D

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a great sticky above these threads: Rose Hair Owners please read: How to REALLY take care of your G. rosea.

That's a slow growing sling to choose. You might also consider L. parahybana (will grow LOTS faster! and also reasonably priced, like the G. rosea) or the incredibly beautiful GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) - more expensive, but hardy, and my experience is they are also fast growers. Check out some threads on those. There are lots of choices, actually.

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bellis said:
is there a special reason for that?? it seems to me it would be easier to measure from end-to-end :(
The end to end measurements have the problem that the size of the abdoman can change significantly based on how well fed and hydrated the animal is. Also, what Kirdec said is true with the exception of specifying which side you need to start from. Generally, you measure from the tip of leg I to the tip of leg IV on the opposite side (the specific side doesn't matter). The tarantula should be in a relaxed state. In other words, don't stretch the legs out.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yanno, you could get a juvy 2 to 3 inch female and have a much easier time and still get to watch it grow to adulthood. The females live 10-15 years.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
Yanno, you could get a juvy 2 to 3 inch female and have a much easier time and still get to watch it grow to adulthood. The females live 10-15 years.
A female G. rosea in captivity can go MUCH longer than 10 to 15 years in captivity. They can easily make it to 20 and 30 is not unheard of.