Male Anax question

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Male anax balding???

My male A. anax molted at the beginning of April and now his rump is bald and getting balder every day. Is there any reason why he would be balding already? I don't see any mites, pinheads, or other bugs in his enclosure. Is something wrong with him or is this normal?

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This is normal for a lot of mature male tarantulas. Although I can't say for sure, I can guess that the majority of the balding is caused by the spider depositing sperm on his sperm web. To do this, males have to lay on their backs and by doing so rub off the setae on the abdomen. Because the urticating setae on the top and sides of the abdomen is attached less securely than other types of setae, I bet depositing sperm along with the frequent moving and climbing a mature male does rubs off the "hair" in large quantities.

- Lonnie

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
AphonopelmaTX said:
This is normal for a lot of mature male tarantulas. Although I can't say for sure, I can guess that the majority of the balding is caused by the spider depositing sperm on his sperm web. To do this, males have to lay on their backs and by doing so rub off the setae on the abdomen. Because the urticating setae on the top and sides of the abdomen is attached less securely than other types of setae, I bet depositing sperm along with the frequent moving and climbing a mature male does rubs off the "hair" in large quantities.

- Lonnie

Hmmm...never thought of that, that could be the reason.

-Mattyb

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is what he looks like. The liquid on his butt is water. He was in the waterdish right before I took this photo.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Yep, that's how the "rump" of every new world male ends up.
My male Brachypelma vagans has less hair than that. :)

- Lonnie

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bald Anax rump...

Yes, I would concur with the sperm web activity, rubbing off hairs in the process. Also, many of my males have hair flicking temper tantrums. Adding to the baldness. I wouldn't fret about it too much.