Pre-molt question?

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a T.blondi that has not eaten since the first week of April, her butt has turned dark to black the last week and a half to two weeks ago. Should i keep offering her food or just let her be untill she molts?
Signed
worried T keeper.
:wall:

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually stop offering food when I know for sure a T is going to molt soon. You never know when a T is going to actually molt, and if there's a cricket in there when it does molt, the cricket could decide that the T would make a nice meal. :eek:

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can offer a cricket, and if she doesn't eat it in her "normal" fashion (snatch it right up), take the cricket out. You should never leave crickets in a tank for too long, especially if you know they're coming up to a molt. She, like all Ts, knows when she's hungry.

And don't sweat her not eating...a month without food is not a big deal, as long as she's got a water dish she'll be fine. I have an A.moderatum sling that hasn't eaten anything in well over a year, and she still has a healthy sized butt from drinking water alone.

Best of luck.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Once I know a molt is coming (darkened abdoman, sealed in a burrow), I stop feeding. Just make sure it has water.