specific concerns

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am working on my T wish list and have found a few species other than Brachypelmas that I like. The beginner threads are great and I have found alot of info but some advice is subject to personal taste and even some caresheets I have read seem to conflict. I am looking at these as possible choices.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens-green bottle blue
Avicularia avicularia-pink toe
Avicularia metallica
Acanthoscurria geniculata-giant white knee
Cyclosternum fasciatum- tigerrump

Basically there are too many curious little hands and paws in my house, in the event of an accident I don't want anything with medically significant venom or a serious attitude.
If there was an escape more than likely my 2yr old bug loving daughter would be the first to find it. So who on the list should I rule in or out and why?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think any on your list should be ruled out with respect to safety concerns. All of the species you listed would do quite well for you. The only significant point that I would raise is that the Avics would be a bit faster than the rest, but that is all.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
The only significant point that I would raise is that the Avics would be a bit faster than the rest, but that is all.

LOL Well, at least with these guys I am guessing they would go for the ceiling out of reach, but of course my husband would never go to sleep again while it was out....

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
like windchaser said, i wouldn't rule any out really, but I find my avic's (especially my metallica) to be a bit more docile, less defensive than the others on your list. genics are quite the hairflickers, and mine don't like to be touched. avics, though faster, I would imagine being better candidates for an unwanted handling by a two year old :)

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could also consider some of the Grammastolas like pulchra or aureostriata. They would be just a suitable as the others especially when you have gotten the "bug" so to speak and want to add to your collection. :D

Another neat addition would be Avicularia versicolor.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
The C. fasciatum that I have right now is very skittish and fast. Not something I would want a child near at all. It attacked my little brush last night. It can be quite defensive. The A. avicularia on the other hand, while quick, was as docile and patient as can be. For the possibility of contact with little hands, I would definitely recommend A. avicularia.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
The C. fasciatum that I have right now is very skittish and fast. Not something I would want a child near at all. It attacked my little brush last night. It can be quite defensive. The A. avicularia on the other hand, while quick, was as docile and patient as can be. For the possibility of contact with little hands, I would definitely recommend A. avicularia.
This just proves that each T has its own personality. I have a C. fasciatum that I have used during school presentations. She has been held many times by the kids and was quite calm with all the activity.

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Maybe this one just needs more time to adjust after being packed up and moved to a new home.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I started with an Avic Avic as a young child and they are really docile but can be quick if startled. I personally haven't had any jump from my hand but I'd be careful anyway.

If had my choice on a beginner species from the list I would go with the Avic Avic or Avic Metallica.

From personal experience with each species I've listed the temperments of each species listed.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens-green bottle blue -Skittish,shy, and quick
Avicularia avicularia-pink toe -Quick,skittish, and docile
Avicularia metallica -Quick, skittish, and docile
Acanthoscurria geniculata-giant white knee -Semi Aggressive, skittish
Cyclosternum fasciatum- tigerrump- Semi Agressive, Quick, and Skittish

I hope this helps :)

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The avics are way cool and if housed properly you can put more than one in an encloser. If they get out just keep looking up they are for all intensive pourposes harmless and recover easily when escaped. Like you said...look up. Genics get pretty big and eat like they are starving all the time. I have had or currently have both and I love em dearly. With the avics you need to make sure you keep the humidity in the tank up higher I think they tend to like that more.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My C. cyaneopubescens is very skittish and doesn't seem too defensive, it just hides or runs around like a spazz when bothered. My A. geniculata, which is a beast, will pretty much strike at anything that moves within her enclosure and stridulate (hiss) at the least amount of provocation...maybe she is just complaining that she's hungry? You should be OK with the Avics.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gene was on the money about Grammostola pulchra, that was the second T I got :) First was Aphonopelma chalcodes, and I also have a B albopilosum sling and a B auratum sling

I am starting to really like the avics just from seeing more pics of them and reading about them. The idea that you can house more than one together is attractive too. I have this huge 45gal hexagon aquarium that blew a seal and I don't know what to do with it since I can't put water in it anymore. If I could figure out how to make a secure top it would be an awesome communal tank.

Any more thoughts on the GBB?

A genic 'hisses'? Really? very cool.

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A 45 hex would make an amazing home for several Avics. As far as the top, cutting and drilling acrylic isn't too difficult, and can be turned into a very suitable lid.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wicked said:
Gene was on the money about Grammostola pulchra, that was the second T I got :) First was Aphonopelma chalcodes, and I also have a B albopilosum sling and a B auratum sling

I am starting to really like the avics just from seeing more pics of them and reading about them. The idea that you can house more than one together is attractive too. I have this huge 45gal hexagon aquarium that blew a seal and I don't know what to do with it since I can't put water in it anymore. If I could figure out how to make a secure top it would be an awesome communal tank.

Any more thoughts on the GBB?

A genic 'hisses'? Really? very cool.
Sorry Wicked ;)

I didn't realize you already had some Ts. In that case I completely agree with Windchaser & others here that have said you shouldn't rule out any on your list. Avics are absolutely great. I am trying really hard to get my wife to at least get interested in Ts. I started by making a pretty decorative home for my little A. purpurea and calling it "hers". Hopefully she will want to watch some of their interesting behaviors and get interested. Purple as she is called is about to molt and I think that will only further my case. :D

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gene said:
I am trying really hard to get my wife to at least get interested in Ts. I started by making a pretty decorative home for my little A. purpurea and calling it "hers". Hopefully she will want to watch some of their interesting behaviors and get interested. Purple as she is called is about to molt and I think that will only further my case. :D
LOL Good luck convincing the Mrs. When I ask my husband to come see some odd behavior one of my Ts is doing he just rolls his eyes at me.

The only thing holding me back from getting an avic at the moment is humidity concerns <it is very dry here>

It looks like I will have to order online again but I am not sure if I should order now while the weather is nice, or wait till we get back from vacation mid-June <but then it will be getting hot> ? Which is worse, Leaving them alone for a week worrying that they will run out of water or ordering in the summer when they might get cooked in shipping?
Thanks again for all responses

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
As far as fast goes.. I've had four C. fasciatum, and a few C. cyaneo in the past, and the those were all way faster than any Avicularia I had, until they get really big, then they tend to be a little slower.

As the others said though, no threat venom-wise at all from any of those species.

Bill

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wicked said:
Which is worse, Leaving them alone for a week worrying that they will run out of water or ordering in the summer when they might get cooked in shipping?
Thanks again for all responses
If you fill the water dishes just before you leave, I don't think a week to be too extremely long. I think this just a tad healthier than high temperatures inside a cardboard box :eek:

Great choices BTW! Those Avics are all beautiful arboreals :drool:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the s'lings and T's are healthy and well hydrated, leaving them for a week is not problem. Just make sure they have a full water dish before your leave. With small T's that don't have a water dish, moisten the substrate a little before your leave. I have left mine on several occassions for a week and have never experienced any problems.

I would prefer that option than the chance of over heating them during shipping.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
follow up

I ended up getting a 1" Avic avic and two 1.5" Brachypelma smithi slings. They are all very cute and I am now very broke :p
Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I imagine sooner or later I will start getting the others on my list.