Goliaths n Coconut Fiber

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone ever heard that coconut fiber kills goliath birdeaters over time? Im wondering if there is any truth to this rumor.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard of that but its not only for T.blondi, but for every T ... I could'nt get a 100% sure answer of that, only ppl talking of that

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It just sounds like a crazy rumour to me. Evidence should be put forward before people make a statement like that.
I've been using it for years, including blondi's, with no ill effects.

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont know how much truth there is in that, there might be some or might not be, but thats what I've used for a long time, and have yet to see any negitive affects.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was told that peat moss retards their growth. From someone that had hundreds if not thousands of Ts. Go figure!

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can anyone verify the statement on the cocunut fibers being bad for T.blondis?

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have raised 5 T blondis from spiderling to adult on it with no problems over the last five years. I change the substraight after every molt though.

Bob

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bob said:
I have raised 5 T blondis from spiderling to adult on it with no problems over the last five years. I change the substraight after every molt though.

Bob
why do you change the substrate after every molt?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a new T, frenshly molted, nice colors and bigger one, a new enclosure setup thats goes with it maybe, I was doing that too

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wish our T.blondi would molt so big that i would need something bigger than a thirty gallon tank. :D

Arach-attack

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about the coconut fiber but is there any truth to the peat moss retarding growth?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jbrd said:
I wish our T.blondi would molt so big that i would need something bigger than a thirty gallon tank. :D

No T is too big for a 30gal. infact a 30gal. is too big IMO.

-Mattyb

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 70 of about 80 of my T's on and in, damp and dry fiber setups. The only reason I have not done the others is I just have not got around to changing them. I have all ranges of sizes. I have 5 T. blondi's and all are fine. I have only lost one T in my collection ever and it was a half inch Versicolor and it died of no apparent reason and it was in a pill bottle type container with peat. Probably nothing wrong with peat either, I just get agravated with dry baled peat being dusty and repelling water like wax when you need to get done ASAP with a setup or change. I just like the fiber better.

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
No T is too big for a 30gal. infact a 30gal. is too big IMO.

-Mattyb
:embarrassed: This is where I have to disagree with you my friend... ;P Maybe its just me, but I always buy bigger tanks so you can observe more of the natural behavior of the animals. But thats just me and my opinion. i have one scorp (H. spadix) in a 20L tank. I have been told im nuts though!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JeKo said:
:embarrassed: This is where I have to disagree with you my friend... ;P Maybe its just me, but I always buy bigger tanks so you can observe more of the natural behavior of the animals. But thats just me and my opinion. i have one scorp (H. spadix) in a 20L tank. I have been told im nuts though!
When you have close to 100 Ts you might change your mind.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JeKo said:
Nah, just buy a bigger house :D

haha, you must be very devoted to go buy a bigger house just for your Ts. {D
But a 55 takes up so much room, i had my blondi in a 30gal for like 2 days until i realized it was just too big for her. But hey if thats what ya wanna do then go for it! :D

-Mattyb

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well in all honesty, thats just the way I feel, I like for the animal to feel at home too, and when i even seen a 1/2 grown blondi I just felt like it would need a bigger home, and also a 55 will give me enough room to set up a biotope that will mimic its natural surroundings as much as possible. Im not saying that anyone is wrong at all in the way they keep their Ts, this is just me and the way I want to do things. I have my H. maculata in a small 5 gallon tank turned on its side with cork bark and a fake plant so not all of my Ts are kept in huge tanks. It varies on the species I keep. IMO I dont see anything wrong with providing them with a nice large home for a nice large spider. Also based on the info I see in here, I dont think I will chance using coconut fibers with my new blondi.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JeKo said:
Well in all honesty, thats just the way I feel, I like for the animal to feel at home too, and when i even seen a 1/2 grown blondi I just felt like it would need a bigger home, and also a 55 will give me enough room to set up a biotope that will mimic its natural surroundings as much as possible. Im not saying that anyone is wrong at all in the way they keep their Ts, this is just me and the way I want to do things. I have my H. maculata in a small 5 gallon tank turned on its side with cork bark and a fake plant so not all of my Ts are kept in huge tanks. It varies on the species I keep. IMO I dont see anything wrong with providing them with a nice large home for a nice large spider. Also based on the info I see in here, I dont think I will chance using coconut fibers with my new blondi.

By all means, if you wanna put ur blondi in a 55gal. and mimic its natural habitat then i think thats awesome, and you will have to post some pics when you are done. But first you need a blondi :D

-Mattyb {D