• yes

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • no

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cant really answer that a yes or a no but I have handled my emps on occasion. I handled a few of the babies and a full grown one or two. I dont make it a habit because I dont know if im allergic or not and dont want to find out the hard way. For the adults I just layed my hand flat in the enclosure and wait for them to walk into my hand. They tend to walk along the glass a lot so its not too hard.

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with some. :) I only have two female emps that i can handle, out of 22 that i own.

H. spadix - no
B. jacksoni - no

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i handle all of mine on occasion.
that's:
H. spinifer adult
P. imperator adult male/female
P. cavimanus juvi
H. arizonensis adult male
V. spinigerus adult male
H. paucidens adult male

maybe a couple other non-hot species i am not remembering

i even handle my buthids, but much more respectfully
C. exilicauda 3-4th instar
C. vittatus 4th instar to adult

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
species i have handled:

p. imperator
h. arizonensis

own, but not handled:
a. australis :embarrassed:
c. gracilis

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prang11 said:
Nope.

Im kind of a wimp.
I have kept for 21 years and never ever felt the need/desire to touch my scorpions. If I want to hold something I'll grab my wife or my cat. I think if anyone said I was a "wimp", I'd beat them about the head and neck. :)

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
I have kept for 21 years and never ever felt the need/desire to touch my scorpions. If I want to hold something I'll grab my wife or my cat. I think if anyone said I was a "wimp", I'd beat them about the head and neck. :)
I'll second that. LOL :clap:

maxamillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've handled my adult female H. arizonensis on different occassions. I had a 3" P. imperator that never let me handle him. He was always trying to nip me with his pinchers.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was stung once, didn't like it... so now i don't handle my scorps

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Handle me P. imps in occasion, handled my B. jacksoni when he was alive :( (but he was just a baby).
Usually only handle docile ones (2 full grown emps, one juvi right now) only handle the adults, Lump is a bit of a spitfire.
I usually pick up my big male when he is out trying to climb the sides of the glass. I carefully take off top so as not to spook him, then lay my hand down inside carefully and opposite side of tank from him. Usually he is curious enough after awhile to climb up.

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never handle mine, tried to handle my flatrock the other day but thought better of it when he got in the defence position, looks scary, would never try and handle my H A hes always angry. Never know what reaction your gonna have, just look, thats what mine are for!! And they do look very cool dont they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
FortCooper1982 said:
Never handle mine, tried to handle my flatrock the other day but thought better of it when he got in the defence position, looks scary, would never try and handle my H A hes always angry. Never know what reaction your gonna have, just look, thats what mine are for!! And they do look very cool dont they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it's like gazing at a flame, quite beautiful and hypnotizing, but untamable.

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Yes, it's like gazing at a flame, quite beautiful and hypnotizing, but untamable.
When i got my first scorp (emp) couldn't stop looking in the tank most of the time nothing change but still enjoyed doing it, just checking him out made me feel better, excitement when nothing was happening, just coz something could happen, got to have a look, havn't you?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
No one calls me a wimp, except me, myself, and my GF.

Darn girlfriends just have that kind of power :wall:

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prang11 said:
No one calls me a wimp, except me, myself, and my GF.

Darn girlfriends just have that kind of power :wall:
Yes, and ability to punch us and get away with it. :)

chulopiscinas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
i handle all of mine on occasion.
that's:
H. spinifer adult
P. imperator adult male/female
P. cavimanus juvi
H. arizonensis adult male
V. spinigerus adult male
H. paucidens adult male

maybe a couple other non-hot species i am not remembering

i even handle my buthids, but much more respectfully
C. exilicauda 3-4th instar
C. vittatus 4th instar to adult

Wow, you are crazy!! {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
chulopiscinas said:
Wow, you are crazy!! {D
none of them want to hurt me

i don't hold them a lot... mainly when i have to do something for/to them.

and i try to be pretty tuned in to when they *don't* want to be held and leave them be then

oh, and back to the original question of how:

1) Scoop
for the calmer individuals i use the scoop method. i just scoop them up using my fingers to reach under them. i use this on:
P.imps H. paucidens

2) Tail grab
for the slightly angrier, but still moderately calm crowd i tail grab:
Heterometrus, P. cavimanus, H. arizonensis, V. spinigerus

3) As They Will
for anything ticky or the least bit hot i generally will let them walk on to me. or tail grab... but that's going to get me into trouble one day.

Last edited:

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do handle mine, but its because I only have a P. emperor, H arizonis, and a
H. paucidins (flatrock) that won't sting very badly at all. If I had any others, I don't think I would handle them at all, but these don't seem to mind it.

Sharon