hand-feeding T's??

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey i was wondering.. i have heard a few times on this board of ppl hand-feeding their T's and i wanted to kno exactly what that means and how it is done.

i have a rosie that i want to try it with, lol. i kno it's prolly a little scary but i wanna try it and see if its cool ;P

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It really isn't recommended. First, most of the time the T is somewhat stressed from being picked up that it won't eat anyway. Secondly, the risk of injury the T is increased. Thirdly, the risk of being bitten is also increased. Regardless of you view on handling T's, hand feeding is not something that should be done.

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Besides all that... My rosie wont even eat if i'm just watching her. She wont catch the crickets untill the entire room is devoid of humans, and then if i walk by, or try to watch she will stop in mid-dance to stare right back at me. :(

Trying to handle them while they eat, or hand feed seems impossible to me.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see nuttin cool or interesting in doing that ... I dont recomand it, if the T miss the cricket, the fang are in your hand ... at this point you could react wrong and the T will get on the floor ... nah, its very stupid in my opinion ... its like putting a steak in your mouth, go in a white shark spot and put your face near one ... oh yeah you will show you're brave, but wheres the point in doing that

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This has been talked about many times, its not worth the risk of getting bit.

-Mattyb

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
If you feel a strong need of feeding an arachnid on your hand your way better off feeding a Pimp. At least Pimps won't stick their teeth into your palm when they catch their prey.

The risk of getting bit during a T - hand feeding is extremely high. If you put it on your hand and give it food (and it takes it) it will lower the teeth until they are vertical and then most certainly punch through the insect, with your palm being the "floor" to punch against. So it will quite certainly hit you.

If you wanna try and feed it by holding an insect in your fingers and giving it to her while she sits on the ground then you might be lucky (with a very careful and docile T) or you might yourself be mistaken for food and get your fingers nibbled off before you know it.

So... naah.. I wounld't say it's worth it. But if you do, please have someone take pictures (and don't miss out on your face, because I wanna see that too :D )

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
... oh yeah you will show you're brave, but wheres the point in doing that

Thats not bravery, thats stupidity...

ooh and if you do decide to try it i want pix too :)

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hand feeding...

I would much rather hand feed my pet mouse or some of these squirrels that hang out on my balcony. Hand feeding your T is an invitation for disaster, IMHO.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well if you call tossing a cricket and watch the T catch it handfeeding then I guess I've done it, other than that I would rather put the cricket in and watch the T hunt for it, I think its fun.

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I've held crickets by their back legs with tweezers and let the T come snatch them from the tweezers, but even when I did that it was years ago, and just with a very calm G. rosea. She would just grab the cricket with her front legs and pedipalps and then shove it up into her fangs. I called it handfeeding, because it's about as close to acutally handfeeding as is possible I guess. I've also tossed the crix at the Ts and watch them catch and eat them, especially with some of my lazier hunters.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my 'idiotic' opinion, at least with the Ts I have had, they seem to enjoy the hunt and tussle of catching prey.

It won't make you 'coolo' 'neato' to hand feed it either...
just makes you seem like another silly dork that bought the T to play with, not caring nor knowing a damn thing about them :rolleyes:

Edit: You darlin' should know better

Last edited:

Arach-attack

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
iluvspydrz said:
hey i was wondering.. i have heard a few times on this board of ppl hand-feeding their T's and i wanted to kno exactly what that means and how it is done.

i have a rosie that i want to try it with, lol. i kno it's prolly a little scary but i wanna try it and see if its cool ;P
That's just stinkin' thinkin'! :embarrassed:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
In my 'idiotic' opinion, at least with the Ts I have had, they seem to enjoy the hunt and tussle of catching prey.

just makes you seem like another silly dork that bought the T to play with, not caring nor knowing a damn thing about them :rolleyes:

I agree. :D

-Mattyb

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
Apocalypstick said:

just makes you seem like another silly dork that bought the T to play with, not caring nor knowing a damn thing about them

I agree. :D

-Mattyb
Hand feeding certainly isn't recommended, but there is no reason to insult anyone.

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO hand feeding is very risky, for me, i would never attempt it, partially because I have OW Ts which have a very nasty to begin with, not to mention just the sheer speed of them when they catch crix anyway, there would be no way in HELLo to dodge the speed of their attack.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Hand feeding certainly isn't recommended, but there is no reason to insult anyone.

I didn't insult anyone, i just agreed ;P

-Mattyb

JimBaskey

Arachnopeon
Agreed. Having H. Lividum, I'm sure there;s a good reason the thought of handfeeding never even occured to me.