tap water ok for centipedes?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I wouldn't be asking this if I still lived in my old home in Alaska...but now I live in a city of a bit over 100,000 and the water is run through treatment plants. Chlorine isn't nearly as strong as it was in Oklahoma City but I can definitely tell it's not the freshest water. Not trying to imply it's really bad water, just not fresh water from a well :D

Anyway...I received my S. subspinipes yesterday and was wondering would be ok to use tap water to moisten the substrate (and with my T's...both my scorps are desert species)?

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never had a problem giving tap to any invertebrates, only fish and amphibians.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always use tap water, but i fill up a 2 litre container and let it stand for 24 hours. That way most of the chlorine will dissipate.

strat321

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ditto to the airing out ones water.

city water will generally have minimum salts etc.
well water could be heavy on salts, minerals.
could always catch rain water....

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
As mentioned, allow tap water to sit in an OPEN container for at least 24 hours to allow the chlorine to dissipate. I also add Exo-Terra Aquatize. I go through 10 gallons of water each day with all my critters, so I use 2 - 5 gallon carboys and when they have sit for 24+ hours I fill 10 gallon jars and then refill the carboys so they are ready again 24 hours later.

Cheers,

Michael

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am pretty sure most city lines have switched over to chloramines, which is a liquid chemical instead of chlorine which is a gas. When chlorine was used it would dissipate in 24 hours, as mentioned. However, chloramines usually take 30 or more days. At the zoo we have large tubs we fill with water after every time we use it. The tubs are on a sump filter full of charcoal, the charcoal takes out all the minerals, salts and chloramines over night. Thus making aged water in 24 hours.