Why Pedes

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi everyone
just want to start a thread about how everyone get into the hobby of pede keeping

I am very lucky to be born and raised in Taiwan, a sub-tropical island where you can find 8" S.s.subspinipes and 6" S.s.multilans pretty easy in the mountain after the rain. Also other pedes in good size and nice coloration
yes, basically i grew up with collecting bugs, including pedes

My first impression of pedes is the camping trip when i was 8. There was a huge one(from a kid's view) with the size i can't recall on the tent! As everyone assumed, i kept it without parents' permission. I've had it for a good 2 yrs, but i released it to the OG spot due to the other interest of other critters, and no spare room for it.

i quited the hobby while i was studying in Melbourne, Australia for three yrs, but started again when i transfered to Canada.

i have 3 vietnamese subspinipes, 2 Haitians currently, planning to get more in the future

SinisterSpiders

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why not pedes. They are fast and good escape artists and lots of fun when you have one lost in your house. J/K Thats not any fun!
But they are fun to keep and watching them eat pinkies, man if you havent seen it you gotta.

Last edited:

scorpman

Arachnopeon
I agree with sinisterspider. the way scorp.,spiders and pedes eat is cool and they also scare the girls :evil:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was a 6+" polymorpha at a local petstore, languishing unpurchased for months. The price dropped to $14.99 so i thought that it could do worse than come home with me... and have been happy ever since :)

they were feeding Sin a pinkie a week... but i feed it mostly crickets cuz they are more entertaining to watch get eaten

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
somebady talked me of them, and then I saw one at the pet store, I almost bought it but found a pet store in montreal where there was some nice Subspinipe soo I tought I would buy one, unfortunatly I had to sell, im planning to get back into the pedes world, I had to concentrate on Tarantula first

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my journey into the world of pedes began innocently in the Iao Valley in Maui, Hawaii. while there with my family, i flipped rock, only to find a gargantuan subspinipes! i caught it, but unfortunately, it escaped a few days later in my hotel room, 20 min before checkout. i have been captivated by their beuty ever since. i hope to return to maui someday, and reclaim "the one that got away." Nowdays, i go out to the flint hills to catch pedes. so far i have only found lithobius spp., as well as spectacular polymorhas. but i am determind to catch some heros castanipes before the summer ends.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I am compleltly new to pede keeping and about to start of my collection with a scolopendra subspinipes hopefully when experienced i may own some of the larger species.

Btw I would advise anyone new or who is thinking about getting one of these to READ THE BITE REPORT for S.Subspinipes ,IMO These things are somewhat clearly not to be Messed or played arround with , The bite is so bad infact im conserned that if it escaped it could pose a danger to Cats or other domestic pets So Security with them is going to be a real Issue ,Dont have it escape and more importantly Dont get Bit :)

Other than that if you already have T's scorps & mantids a Big pede really is the next thing to get

Last edited:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Been keeping tarantulas for some time. Only seemed right to branch out since I don't keep many scorpions I went for Scolps and well I'm not dissapointed at all

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was into scorps at first but their lack of color made me want to try something else. I was really impressed with some of the pede photos at tarantulaspiders.com. I went ahead with a morsitans as my first pede and it impressed me right away. The very first time I fed it the cricket didn't even touch the substrate since the little pede caught it midair!
I then went for a 9" subspinipes at the East Bay Vivarium cause of all the 'horror stories of utter evil' i've been reading about in these forums. Needless to say, these are hands down the most fascinating of all the pet inverts I've ever kept.

Off the subject for a quick sec. I just got back from Vancouver BC and I must say, that it one helluva nice town you guys have there. I was staying at Burnaby across the street from Metrotown. I love it up there and I'm really thinking about moving.