i was recently told by a dealer that pokies are easier to manage than...

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cobalts, obts, and suntigers....thoughts? i'm still on the fence as to whether or not i'll get one or not. i really want a p. regalis but i'm paranoid about their venom and speed.... but i don't know why i'm so paranoid about venom considering my thai tiger and king baboon... :?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I don't think there is much to worry about. They are fairly quick, but if you have any experience with an OBT, they are no worse than them.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been told the same thing. But I have to tell you, I have 1 4" P. regalis and I just picked one up at a show this past weekend that's about 1 3/4". I also picked up two tiny P. irmina. I haven't had to rehouse the P. irminia, but I can tell you that I'm not looking too forward to it as they have already moved WAY faster than either of my P. regalis. I have rehoused my P. regalis a few times with no problems at all. The tiny P. irminia teleport from the top of their vials to the bottom as soon as I touch the vials. I think that as long as you have done your research on the spieces you are considering and you are willing to take the risk of having a more venomous t loose in your house(in case it bolts out of its enclosure) or possibly getting bit by a more venomous t, then go for the P. regalis. Give the t the respect it deserves and you should be fine. They would rather run for cover than fight.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of my Pokies (6 species) are calmer than P. irminia, except P. ornata. Regalis are pretty calm, just go ahead, they just have bad reputation. Keep in mind their venom anyway ..

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have yet to have a problem from my P. rufilata. I still respect it for what it is capable of, but it never runs like mad when I am maintaining the jar. Occasionally moves a couple inches to it's web if it is in the open, but never indicates any form of aggression or defensiveness. And as I understand it, P. regalis is even calmer. So my advice is take the plunge. They're not little monsters waiting to escape and invenomate your entire household; just spiders, like any other.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P. regalis is an angel compared to my OBT (aptly named Caligula). I have received a few threats from him, but that's when there was an impending molt near, so I attribute the attitude to the pre-molt. Other than those instances he's a great addition and look forward to trying out other pokie species.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
unless ya plan on handling them alot why worry,, i consider my P.Murinus STRICTLY a look at ONLY pet, only time i even open her terra tank is to feed or to do a weekly light misting. Other than that, she is Queen of her domain .!!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Just remember that these girls get big and happen to be arboreal. Arboreals are a more challenging experience than terrestrials in my experience because they plaster themselves to the wall. And adding the size to it makes it a little tricky to safely contain the spider for transfer or for holding (in a container). It is my opinion that one should have ample experience with giant ground dwellers, fast/ defensive terrestrials, and good experience with the flightyness of arboreals before trying a species that posseses all of those characteristics.

Here's something fun you can try to test your mental readiness. Find a large, tall container. Cut out a piece of cardboard or paper in the shape of a circle with a diameter of 6-7 inches and attach it to the side of the container. The circle shape takes into account the position of the spiders legs at any moment. We can't be squishing toes can we? Now pretend like that object has the speed of a P. murinus and try to "capture" it. What kind of holding container would you use? How are you going to get it to move without blasting off? Do you even need to have it move at all? If you start feeling nervous then you might want to buy a few more different kinds of speedy but calm arboreal species before getting a pokie. If you feel fine with the thought that this thing can run out of the container onto the floor or up your arm then you're ready. I can't nor will I tell you it's a good or bad idea to get a pokie of any species. You know your comfort and skill level better than anyone.

- Lonnie

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I'm wrestling the same arguements about getting an S. calceatum...

Someone gave me some advice that put me at ease ..
it's a COOL FACTOR issue..

Can you keep your cool.. You MAY NOT be faster .,.. but you are more inteligent and if you keep your cool use you head . you should be OK..