Stupid Molting Question

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello. I am relatively new to the hobby. I justy wanted to know how long it generally takes form when an tarantula begins to show digns a molt is near to when it actually molts. The first two I have had molt i missed the signs completely and was just freaked to suddenly see "two" spiders in the tanks. I have two that seems like they have been preparing to molt and I was just curious as to how long it should take from showing signs of molting to actually molting.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It really depends on a lot of things, including the species, size of the spider, etc.

Many NW species will lose the urticating hairs on the abdomen at some point (this, however, does not indicate a molt) and will allow you to see the color of the abdomen. The abdomen will turn black before a molt.

The smaller the spider (younger), typically the less time it will spend in pre-molt (depending on species).

For example, all of my P. murinus will spend just days in pre-molt before molting, but my G. rosea and G. aureostriata will spend weeks or months.

What kind of spiders are you referring to?

P.P.'s Mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No such thing as a stupid question!

I've only been doing this T thing for about 4 months, but mine all molt differently. My little 1 inch slings never stop eating, never hide, never do anything different and, viola!, there's the shed skin.

My bigger (3 inch) B. smithi stopped eating for 2 months and then finally hid for the last 24 hours before I noticed the skin.

In other words: I'm still trying to figure it out, too. I'll try to be more helpful next time! Good luck.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its G. rosea and a B. Smithii that seem to be in pre-molt. Both are only about 3/4-1". I also have an A. seemani that seems to be getting ready as well. I have been keeping a journal of all my inverts, a bad habit i picked up from my day job as a zookeeper. Hopefully this will help me pinpoint when the molt will take place in the future. I have had a P. murinus and an A. avicularia molt succesfully, bu I think they were in pre-molt when I purchased them. Well, thanks for the advice. :clap:

shurakidz

Arachnopeon
is my S. Peerboomi going to molt?

my tarantula is doing great that day shes eating a lot and very defensive then suddenly the next day she just stay at the side of the tank, ignoring all the all the vibrations, she even ignore me while i open the tank..then i decided to touch her thingking that it will make her in a defensive mode but she didnt she remains as is...no movement...,what is she up to?...is she sick..some say she is in a premolt but what is a premolt?...