Old Timer
Heterscoda maculata

Pterinochilus lugardi

Pterinochilus murinus RCF

Last edited:

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pics but could you add the species names for the pics, that would be very helpful

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice pictures Steve! Too bad you called it "my picture thread"... I have to let you have all the fun on this one!;)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
mmmmm that junodi is a sexy girl!! ;)

Love that Murinus flopping on its side tantrum :D crazy things

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pics bugs!! thats gotta be the biggest horn ive ever seen on a t and the maculata pics rule,H. mac's are my favourite

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I noticed that your H mac seems to have sections on the legs where there isn't any hair, almost like it's been rubbed against something. What size enclosure do you keep it in, and do you have any idea's why it's like that?

My P. cambridgei immature male is showing the same signs on it's legs.

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the maculata is WC and these kind of lesions are common on large WC T's, most probably caused by the shipping of them in snug containers with little padding.

as far as housing, i use the large Sterilite Showoff (model 1896) http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=42# , with 2" of peat substrate and a large piece of bark from corner to corner and i find these are perfect for my needs.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Great pictures! Love the A. junodi. I see that you take your bugs outside for pictures, you don't worry about them escaping, getting hurt or stressed out? Just curious, I see what great pictures can be taken outside and I am considering it. But for something as fast as H. maculata, I'd be a little worried.

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
Great pictures! Love the A. junodi. I see that you take your bugs outside for pictures, you don't worry about them escaping, getting hurt or stressed out? Just curious, I see what great pictures can be taken outside and I am considering it. But for something as fast as H. maculata, I'd be a little worried.
i have started to take them outside because the natural bright light shows off more detail and produces much sharper pictures, especially in macro mode where the flash is all but useless, although i do sometimes use it for 'fill-in effect'

i don't worry about them escaping, i just stay prepared just in case. Things like the junodi, pachypus and marshalli (at this size) are pretty easy going so they were the easier ones. The lugardi, murinus and maculata are more than likely to go into 'threat pose' and once there (IME) will stand their ground for a little while, the trick with them is to take the pics BEFORE the pose as anyone can get a pic of their 'angry' OW spider, i wanted more relaxed poses, so flashed of some pics as soon as the spiders were in position (the autofire feature is very handy), once the spider had had enough it went back into its' enclosure and into the house.
mainly, if you make sure you are away from any easy escape route (drains etc) and have capturing devices easy to hand (they are just out of shot) and sometimes, if i am a little warey i surround the shot area with a loosely crumpled bed sheet, that way if there is an escape attempted the spider will more than likely just hide under the sheet ;)

as far as hurt or stressed out is concerned as soon as the spider starts to get defensive it goes back into it's home.
i don't dig the spiders out, i wait till they exit their lair and are easier to capture.
and i don't do it on a regular basis.
for example, the only other outside pic that the maculata will get is after it moults, as it is an adult female there is no need after that point for any more pics, as long as the session goes according to plan! lol

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tarcan said:
Nice pictures Steve! Too bad you called it "my picture thread"... I have to let you have all the fun on this one!;)
hehehe, too right Martin, otherwise you would steal my limelight with your pics of Xenodendrophila ;P

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
bugsnstuff said:
hehehe, too right Martin, otherwise you would steal my limelight with your pics of Xenodendrophila ;P
... or pics of my own A. junodi... ;)

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooooo, you got one did you? are you sure it's junodi, in fact are you sure it's Augacephalus ?? ;P {D

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
bugsnstuff said:
ooooo, you got one did you? are you sure it's junodi, in fact are you sure it's Augacephalus ?? ;P {D
**what do you mean one?... you know me better then that Steve, come on! ;)