Pterinochilus murinus RCF missing a leg

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recieved 6 Pterinochilus murinus as a gift today and after inspecting them found that one was missing its rear left leg, this didnt stop it trying to run away though!
There was no trace of the leg in the packaging so I assume it was just lost in a previous shed or something?

Will its grow back?
Will it be ok?

Thanks

Dragonhunter

Arachnopeon
They're pretty mean

He probably got annoyed and bit it off!, heh heh Just kidding. If it's not bleeding or anything, he'll be alright. And, He'll grow another as good as new in a couple of molts. :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some bugs do eat their own shed limbs

i mean, they invested a lot of resources into it, might as well try to reclaim as much as possible

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It probably just lost it during a molt and it will regenerate during the next few molts (unless its a mature male, of course).

It shouldn't cause any problems. When it begins to regenerate, the new leg will look smaller and a little more scrawny, but will look normal after a couple more molts.

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After the first molt, will it be full length, or miniature in every sense?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bellis said:
After the first molt, will it be full length, or miniature in every sense?
It'll be miniature.

Here's my B. smithi who had a missing palp. This picture was taken after her most recent molt (first molt since the palp was missing).

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry I forgot to mention it is actually a 2cm sling, so it sould be ok in 1 or 2 molts?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Andy said:
Sorry I forgot to mention it is actually a 2cm sling, so it sould be ok in 1 or 2 molts?
Yeah, I'd guess that a sling would take less time to regenerate, but I'm not sure about that.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
My B. smithi sling took three molts to completely regenerate his leg. I purchased him at 1.25" ls with one leg missing. After the first molt the leg was very small and light in colour, almost transparent. Next molt it was just a little smaller than the other legs, colours matched, and now after the last molt, it is just like new.

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well thanks ladies and gents, ive decided to name this one, for obvious reasons, Legolas :rolleyes:

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The question of regeneration really depends on the maturity of the T we're talking about. Regenerating a limb is quite a timely process for a T. One leg, however, won't influence the Ts mobility very much. Best of luck!

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not much to worry about , I have recieved a P. lugardi who was missing four legs. She used her fangs as something of locamotion and had full use within the three following molts.