Molt mounts for my classroom

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the style of mounting I use for my classroom. These are craft trays, similar to meat trays but have a paper feel instead of styro.

I rubber cement them. The kids can look at them, handle them, and they can also be stapled to bulletin boards to conserve space. Not as pretty as some of the others but practical.

Scott

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you tried to sex any of the molts? Have you taught the kids how to sex? Do they get to look at the molts under a microscope?
Have you had any probelems with urticating hairs?
Have you had any overwelmingly protective parents act a fool? My brother is a principle and he has told me some stories of parents over reacting to the dumbest stuff.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
U hairs might become a problem if some kids have asthma. and are constantly fooling with the molts. at least that would be my guess.

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
Have you tried to sex any of the molts? Have you taught the kids how to sex? Do they get to look at the molts under a microscope?
Have you had any probelems with urticating hairs?
Have you had any overwelmingly protective parents act a fool? My brother is a principle and he has told me some stories of parents over reacting to the dumbest stuff.
They aren't actually handling the molts. just the trays. Minimal amt. of movement. They are quite aware of the urticating hairs, we have discussed this and they have seen the t's fling them. Especially my b. smithi, they have also witnessed their slings doing this.

So far, so good, knock on wood. Parents have been very supportive and into the activity. We have talked about sexing briefly. I have sent out 4 males during this school year so they are aware of the final molt and items such as that.

Scott