Anyone ever used these for feeders?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Little black sugar ants? I find these things in my kitchen almsot every morning. The darn things wont leave. So I was woundering if anyone has ever used these as feeders for younger scorps?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't do it
ants can quickly turn the table....

the very mild winter has caused a rather significant infestation throughout the portland area as well...

found a bunch coming to-and-from my C. exilicauda tank this morning...
i've since rectified that situation...

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
i wouldn't do it
ants can quickly turn the table....

the very mild winter has caused a rather significant infestation throughout the portland area as well...

found a bunch coming to-and-from my C. exilicauda tank this morning...
i've since rectified that situation...
TheNothing is right! Ants are way nasty. I wouldn't attempt to feed them. Plenty of posts about ants killing arachnids on these boards! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
only a few specialized scorpions eat ants regularily

and since ants are hymenopteric (same as bees & wasps) some have venomous bites or stings

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, one ant isn't going to kill it most likely, but if he gets out and tells his friends... then you might have a party and a scorpion on a platter.
but if it's the big carpenter ants I'm thinking of, their venom isn't very potent to my knowledge.

but I still don't know if it would be a good idea or not...

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone ever tried a bee? read somewhere they are good for scorps, but seems a bit risky to me, had one at my mercy the other day could have put him in with my hadrurus arizonensis, wingless of course, but thought better of it.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea, termites are PERFECT for small scorps; theyre slow, they cant jump, once they get injured they shake uncontrolably, which helps the scorp find them, AND they are soft and delish!
here are 2 pics
Male Euscorpius flavicaudis with 3 termites

female Euscorpius flavicaudis actually stinging a termite for some reason..
its not like she was having trouble killing it with those huge claws..

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah
termites are a completely different story
many scorps freak out over yummy termites...
Centruroides and Pandinus especially....

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone have their own termite colony? wouldnt the soldier termites get annoying?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
yeah
termites are a completely different story
many scorps freak out over yummy termites...
Centruroides and Pandinus especially....

Seems like Centruroides are scared of everything. Especially when they are young.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i ment "freak out" in a good way...

and my C. gracilis 4th instars aren't scared of anything that i've noticed... take down crix before they even hit the ground and will run right up my arm if i grab anything they happen to be sitting on...

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
misfitsfiend said:
Anyone have their own termite colony? wouldnt the soldier termites get annoying?
in a colony only a very small percentage are soldiers.. and theyre too wicked to kill anyway :)

a Termite colony is really interesting to watch, especially the soliders banging their heads everywhere, a "pet" in its own right

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
in a colony only a very small percentage are soldiers.. and theyre too wicked to kill anyway :)

a Termite colony is really interesting to watch, especially the soliders banging their heads everywhere, a "pet" in its own right

I tried to find care for a termite colony, and where to get one and I cant find any web sites... anyone want to help me out?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd figure a "pest" like that will be very hard to find in the states....

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i seem to remember a scientific company who sold termites... ont he net

cant remember though :(

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would imagine you can keep termites just by tossing in non pressure treated wood. I had termites in a small pile of old fenceboards in my backyard just a week ago. Couldnt imagine that they need much more than a food source and liquid to thrive. But of course if you want to keep them, they will prove to be as difficult as they are to get rid of im sure.

If you still cant find anything send me a pm and ill look through some of my pest control testing guides that I never studied. They teach you everything a pest needs in order to thrive to aid you in understanding their control.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
... and if i cant find the knowledge there, ill ask my next door neighbor. Hes been in pest control for 20 years. Of course, ill get a funny look if I ask about keeping termites. Here in Houston they are very freakin common.