Tarantula vs. Mouse Video - Compfused

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not going to let myself get started on how dangerous this was for the spider and how people disregard the safety of a 5" spider for their own personal entertainment...

Good quality video nonetheless...

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/797/

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aha! Sorry, I looked around to see if it was already here and didn't think to check the video thread. :eek:

Yes, they *can* take down small rodents, but there is more risk involved than in taking down a grasshopper...

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't think so becca
invertenrate preys tend to struggling till they're all meshed up
and mice or other vertebrates won't stroggle more than a minute
my last experience of feeding a mouse to 8"L.parahybana showed that the lill thing had struggled only 3 sec!
also grass hopper and crix got spiny rear legs , which could be more dangerous

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I'm not going to let myself get started on how dangerous this was for the spider and how people disregard the safety of a 5" spider for their own personal entertainment...

Good quality video nonetheless...

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/797/
Kool well found becca , Dangerous for the spider? Btw I think its alot more dangerouse for the mouse :D

Post watching: Ok perhaps maybe that mouse was a bit big for that T but i think again this still kinda reinforces what im saying If it can eat a mouse that big it can sure as hell manage a small one , But i do agree that was a risk way to large

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
my last experience of feeding a mouse to 8"L.parahybana showed that the lill thing had struggled only 3 sec!
also grass hopper and crix got spiny rear legs , which could be more dangerous
Please don't tell me that you really think a cricket is more dangerous than a mouse. I'd much rather be bitten by a cricket than a mouse! There's lots of variables involved, but one of the biggest ones is the presence of teeth!

How long any prey struggles can depend on where there spider strikes it. Mice are larger, stronger prey. They put up more resistence and can defend themselves better than small invertebrates (such as crickets) can. I'm not against feeding rodents to tarantulas, I don't really care one way or the other. However, I see no need to put the spider at risk. I've seen pictures of and spiders in person that are missing whole and parts of legs due to someone feeding them a full grown mouse.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, mine always go for the throat, the mouse would'nt have a chance to bite
well, you are not taking down the prey urself, right?
for bigger prey, spiders go for the core part of the body, and they can always tell
it's natural instinct to hunt mouse, and as far as they are terrestrial, they have lottta rodent encounters in their sizes,and i do believe a LARGE locust with strong rear legs are more dangerous than a mouse

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
well, mine always go for the throat, the mouse would'nt have a chance to bite
well, you are not taking down the prey urself, right?
for bigger prey, spiders go for the core part of the body, and they can always tell
it's natural instinct to hunt mouse, and as far as they are terrestrial, they have lottta rodent encounters in their sizes,and i do believe a LARGE locust with strong rear legs are more dangerous than a mouse
Natural instinct is survival. In the wild, tarantulas are going to eat what they have access to. Most reports from the wild state that they typically eat small invertebrates and will also occassionally eat small rodents and/or birds. The spider is going to defend itself against anything that it has to, just like any other organism.

The mouse in the video is as big as the tarantula! A pinkie, sure. There's no risk. Oh, but wait, a pinkie wouldn't be nearly as fun to watch. :rolleyes:

My main point regarding the video is that:

A.) It isn't necessary. A ~5" G. rosea does not need a full-grown mouse as part of its diet.

B.) It is putting the spider at unneccessary risk to give it prey that is as big as it is and equipped with teeth.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG that was a Rose :eek: I take back everything i said There Dam lucky that mouse didnt eat there tarantula lol

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
I was trying to find a study i read about 3 yrs ago,on how sensitive rodents were to tarantula venom,and it seemed to be geared for killing rodents,but was unable to locate it maybe someone else here has a link to it or a copy.Rodents and tarantulas are enemies in the wild i've watched deer mice here get taken out by the local Aphonopelma sp.

So its not like its a unfair position or anything for the T.Me i feed mice sometimes,very rarely as it seems to agitate the other T's in the room.But i always kill them beforehand,but i've also got rarer species strictly for breeding so i dont want any accidents.But some people's views are different but i dont think it should be condemned as it goes down like that in the wild.If you notice there was not much of a struggle it was over very quickly i counted 5 seconds until it was under control 10 seconds total for only twitchy movement,very clean kill.Out by roger springs a natural hot spring here you will find mice bolus sometimes along with other insect remains by quite a few burrows,its overrun with grasses and plants numerous food sources there but mice are still taken.

Last edited:

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO, very risky! My Ts will ONLY EVER get F/T rodents, PERIOD! I side with Becca :embarrassed:

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
well the spider did look kind of small for that mouse but we all tend to over react in such instances lets face it how long have T's been around :? , and we treat them like they are babies, they are natural born killers. spiders in the wild do not have the luxury of taking down what ever prey they feel is safe, they attack, kill, then eat becasue who knows were their next meal is coming from, i mean there are pics of T's in the wild eating bats :? of course you always have people saying why take the risk.....well the answer is simple becasue they want too. im done critisizing people for how they feed their animals or inverts it is their money, their time and their problem, if something happens.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Blasphemy said:
So what's next....7" T. blondi vs adult rat?
Adult C.crawshayi could mess up a Rat, not that a blondie couldnt but i have seen pics of King baboons with Whole adult rats, but as yet never a video :wall:

Ravienne

Arachnopeon
Morbus ascendit said:
Hi!

Don't know whether or not this is my problem only but there's no audio in that video. The same video containing some "eeeks" can be seen here (requires Quicktime): http://www.erbfeind.com/spider/!
Uwe, thanks for posting that Quicktime link. My computer doesn't really like RealPlayer.

In reference to the debate at hand, it's true that the spider and any damage incurred was totally that person's business. I can't tell them how to treat their property. But I would certainly never do it, and I don't really understand why anyone would apart from juvenile thrill-seeking. True, these spiders are highly evolved killing machines, but they're still fragile. The rosie was able to take the mouse down, but she was only a good scratch to the abdomen away from disaster.

When the video started, I expected some hulking T. blondi or L. parahybana to come leaping out. But when that girl scurried through the hole in the coconut, I almost felt sorry for her. Having to literally fight for her life in captivity? Poor thing. She won, but what about next time?

Please remember that I'm a newbie, both to this forum and to tarantulas in general. This is all my opinion, based on reading and a little bit of very past experience.

Cheers!
-ravienne

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ravienne said:
When the video started, I expected some hulking T. blondi or L. parahybana to come leaping out. But when that girl scurried through the hole in the coconut, I almost felt sorry for her. Having to literally fight for her life in captivity? Poor thing. She won, but what about next time?

Please remember that I'm a newbie, both to this forum and to tarantulas in general. This is all my opinion, based on reading and a little bit of very past experience.
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Even though we sometimes disagree, everyone has the right to their opinion, so don't be afraid to share yours. :)

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow becca. thats crazy.

I fed my rosie a thawed pinkey once, that was good enough for me, although I would like to see one of mine take down a mouse, I doubt I'll ever do it.

and yea, crickets and grasshoppers are nothing, did you see the way those legs were kicking? I thought it was going to lose a leg from that. not to mention those teeth.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That mouse was way too big for that spider IMO. Thats just unnecessary as far as I'm concerned....no reason to put your pet at risk like that.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah that mouse was really too big for that little rosea IMO...I fed a mouse to one of my past tarantulas, but it was a 7" T. blondi so the size difference wasn't as severe as it is in that video.