Got some local scorps

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Went digging around in the mountains here looking for Aphonopelma hentzi, but didn't find any. What I did find were some cute little local scorpions. From what I read, the species is Centruroides vittatus, and they may live between two and five years. Hopefully I have some of each gender and they'll breed.

They seem slow to sting, though a cricket I put in surprised one, and it stung it right off the bat. I poked at a few of them with a pen, and they ran and didn't sting.

I removed the hopping legs from the rest of the crickets I put in there, and put in a water dish and some rocks for them to hide under.

Pic:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most definately C. vittatus
sexing these are easy
males have elongated 4th and 5th metasomal segments as seen in the one eating the cricket and the one on the left underside of the rock
the one on top of the rock appears to be female

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
most definately C. vittatus
sexing these are easy
males have elongated 4th and 5th metasomal segments as seen in the one eating the cricket and the one on the left underside of the rock
the one on top of the rock appears to be female
Thanks. Those the segments in the tail?

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think I see what you mean. The last two tail segments. If I understand this method correctly, I have three males and one female (one scorp isn't in the picture).

Thanks for the help.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The one on the right and the one under the bark are males, one on top of bark is female ;)

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That one on the bottom looks like it's reaching up to pinch the other's butt...
And the last one, that's not in the pic, is indeed a male. Thanks for the sexing method. How often do they breed?