Vaejovis carolinianus find!!!!

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
me and Python went hunting today, we got 3 Vaejovis carolinianus and it was a rainy day.. we started not to go.. actually didnt even go for scorps at all.. we went looking for trapdoor spiders at another friends house, he said hes got some, but the area is grown up really bad so we are gonna wait till we can get in there one weekend and clear it off a little, a trail at least.. but we ended up with 3 Vaejovis carolinianus on a day we normally wouldnt have gone hunting.. we had several other finds as well.. including a 5' +- gray rat snake, and a 3' +- eastern kingsnake and several species of pedes, milli and centi..

so to say the least.. we had a good day.. who says rainy days suck?

NOT I!!

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yesterday was a nice sunny day in Medford, Oregon
Prang11, Drapion and I went out and caught 63 U. mordax in about 4 hours...

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
good job.. we were only out for about an hour and a half, and its our first scorp find of the year.. we needed more places to hunt in the southern parts of the county.. the scorps are more plentiful there

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my parents land is overrun with them. you just about can't turn over a rock or board without seeing one. if anyone is interested in them i can catch them by the dozens. I am interested in the scorps that can reproduce asexually. if someone could tell me the species that would be great.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not sure that I have ever heard of a scorp that reproduces asexually. Not saying there isn't one just that I haven't heard of it. Didn't know such a thing was possible

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there is another term for it but basicly it kindof clones itself I think there from the western united stated somewhere. im wanting to say from colorado but Id probably be wrong

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Tityus serrulatus-T.stigmurus complex are parthenogentic and some species of Hottentotta (H.trilineatus I think) are supposedly parthenogentic as well. There supposedly has never been a male found of T.serrulatus.

I have also read...somewhere there has been a sexual population of T.serrulatus found...I forget where.

John
];')

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the paper Kugellager is talking about is this one: LOURENCO W.R. & J.L. CLOUDSLEY-THOMPSON (1999): Discovery of a sexual population of Tityus serrulatus, one of the morphs within the complex Tityus stigmurus (Scorpiones: Buthidae) - Journal of Arachnology 27: 154-158

There are 8 known parthenogenic scorpion species in literature: Tityus stigmurus Confluenciata, T. columbianus, T. trivittatus, T. urugayensis, T. metuendus, Ananteris coineaui Hottentotta hottentotta and Liocheles australasiae. Another species, Pseudolychas ochraceus, is suggested to reproduce parthenogenic here: PRENDINI L. (2004): Systematics of the Genus Pseudolychas Kraepelin (Scorpiones: Buthidae) – Annals of the Entomological Society of America 97(1): 37-63

None of these species occur in the States. There may be undeveloped American species which are are having the ability for parthenogenesis but so far that´s not known in literature.

Regards
Alex

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
i live almost exactly in the middle of alabama.. i picked up another place to hunt yesterday, the lady said shes got them in her house all the time.. so im gonna go see how much of that problem i can take care of for her

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
damnet. i wish there was scorps around here. im biding my time until i can get a day off to go to austin for a hunt.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
OneSickPuppy said:
damnet. i wish there was scorps around here. im biding my time until i can get a day off to go to austin for a hunt.
you still coming to birmingham this saturday? if so how long you gonna be in town?