Need juvie pics of B. emelia,smithi

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw a juvie, 2.5-3 in, t labeled Mexican Red-Knee for 100$ at Petco. I have not had a b. smithi or b. emelia, but its coloration looked like b. emelia. What do smithis look like at that size? (If its an emelia maybe i can get it for special pricing :D )

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i notices the triange. its an emelia then. i told the guy i thought it wasnt a red knee but he had a stoned look on his face and didnt care. I am going to talk with the manager and let him know :embarrassed: .maybe i can get a price reduction. i am going to bring a pic of the two species. K, r there any differences in personality/care for the emelia as opposed to the smithi, because then i can make an actual case for making a deal out of changing the name.

Ron_K

Arachnopeon
Petco is known for selling these 2 species interchageably. I doubt if they will give you a price break. Their corporate policy is that they have to sell everything by the name that their dealer sold it to them as. If they spider is missing a leg or something, tell the manager that it is injured and that you are willing to adopt it to nurse it back to health. Petco is not allowed to sell injured or deformed animals so many times you can get it for free. I got a B. smithi for free from a local Petco this way. Best of luck to you.

Ron_K

Herps&Inverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Care is pretty much interchangeable, too. I prefer emilias because they seem to tolerate handling better (at least for me). Since we do presentations with our animals, it's a must. If I were you, I'd take advantage and get the T...but I'd also fight for a price reduction. Remember to be careful of their urticating hairs...both species are well-renouned for those :) Let us know what you decide to do and if you indeed get a price change.

Sam

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both are very nice T's, what I have noticed is that emilia's are a little bit calmer in general than smithi and a lot less likely to kick hairs at you... (This of course is from my personal experience in dealing with over a dozen of each of these two species)

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PetCo COMMONLY sells B. emelia as B. smithi.... I just got 2 from them last year...labeled B. smithi but were B. emelia... Sometimes they'll throw a sale where they dropdown to $25...I always try to keep an eye out for that... I like B emelia just as much as B. smithis

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Well ..you asked for some pics of a juvie B. emilia so here you are.

This is her when I first brought her home:

This is her after first molt with me:

This is her after second molt with me:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
B. emilia is usually a little bit more expensive than B. smithi, so I don't know if trying to get a price reduction will work well. The B. emilia that I have seen to seem a little bit calmer than B. smithi, but that just be me.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B.emilia don't grow as large as B.smithi. From what I've read B.emilia's venom is more potent and they are more nervous. Plenty of B.smithis are being bred making B.emilia more rare.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
here is my smithi molting. :D btw, I don't have the crappy substrate anymore. :D It was only temp because I ran out of my usual and it needed a cleaning.

here is it now. Look at the water dish. :eek: I have to clean it daily. It loves to put substrate in it.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pics u guys and thanks. I always love molting pics. Today i went to my local Petco and they had a new avic in. There is one lady i really really like because even though she doesnt like spiders, she is interested in their welfare. They used to have cotton balls there before i was there, and it occured to her that they would promote bacteria so she made it a point to clean them all. I go in and give them advice on how to make a vivarium better for an animal, and she thanks me and honestly makes an effort in making their homes better. So today i was talking to her and asking her what the policy is with mislabeling and she said they are required to sell them what they were sold as. But then she asked which Petco and i told her the place and she gave me the name of an employee there and she that that the person would be very willing to listen to me. Im gonna head there when i have any free time and check the reference out, but maybe i can get a good deal or something. I will tell u how things turn out. I really need to work on the other petco. There was a lizard on the wall and no one cared. Gotta whip them into shape!

dnl

Arachnopeon
ChrisNCT, very beautiful emilia !! i hope my slings get there hehehehe
now she has a very strong color, and very nice look!
kornordie also got some nice pic's, nice molting.. i really like when they show up after molting. the substract problem also happens to me, daily.. quite boring, but necessary :)