brown recluse

reclusekiller

Arachnopeon
lol, this may not be the proper forums but there was a pregnant brown recluse in my room.. last week and i got a cup to capture it and it disapeared.. this week I have seen 10-20 baby spiders running around in my room.. i know it was a brown recluse because it had a brown fidel on it.. how do i get rid of them thanks.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
reclusekiller said:
lol, this may not be the proper forums but there was a pregnant brown recluse in my room.. last week and i got a cup to capture it and it disapeared.. this week I have seen 10-20 baby spiders running around in my room.. i know it was a brown recluse because it had a brown fidel on it.. how do i get rid of them thanks.
What makes you think it was a recluse? So many spiders are mistaken as recluses in areas too far west for the brown recluse to range. Where do you live?

Wysi

reclusekiller

Arachnopeon
i live in california, and it has the fidel with the brown lines and everything.. i looked up a pic and then compared them

maxamillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you live in Northern California there is definitely no brown recluse in your area. There have been reports of them in the Southern area of California but I think many of them have been mistaken for the Desert recluse (Loxosceles deserta). There are four species of recluse spiders in California. The most common is the Desert recluse. The only location where I have had confirmed brown recluse findings is in Victorville California and i think it was due to them sneaking in on a shipment from another state.

If you are concerned about recluse spiders or other spiders you can go to hobospiders.com and they sell traps specifically for hobo spiders and recluse spiders. It is a glue trap that will lure and trap the spiders for you.

good luck

reclusekiller

Arachnopeon
thank you for your help i live in north california.. apparently there is a grass spider that looks like a brown recluse?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there are a LOT of spiders that look like recluses.

in southern california i think we actually do have a recluse, just not the big brown baddy.. i think we have Loxosceles laeta, the desert recluse, and the famous one is Loxosceles reclusa

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The fiddle on the recluse carapace is such a problem, as so many other spiders can look like they have a fiddle, too!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Why not use an alternative method of disposing of the unwanted critters?
Being as we here are spider enthusiasts, I'm not sure it's good to be teaching someone how to kill spiders. Glue sounds AWFUL!!!

My suggestion would be catch and release. You find something to cup them with, put on a secure lid, and then take them somewhere a distance away from your house and release them.

Personally, I'd rather have the spiders than to have the bugs they eat running aound my house. ;)

Wysi

P.S. My new blue centipede came out of hiding to say hello. Super duper cool creature. :)

maxamillian said:
If you live in Northern California there is definitely no brown recluse in your area. There have been reports of them in the Southern area of California but I think many of them have been mistaken for the Desert recluse (Loxosceles deserta). There are four species of recluse spiders in California. The most common is the Desert recluse. The only location where I have had confirmed brown recluse findings is in Victorville California and i think it was due to them sneaking in on a shipment from another state.

If you are concerned about recluse spiders or other spiders you can go to hobospiders.com and they sell traps specifically for hobo spiders and recluse spiders. It is a glue trap that will lure and trap the spiders for you.

good luck

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
loxosceles spiders have a fairly rare arrangement of eyes

they have 3 pairs of eyes sort of like
<pre>
oo oo
oo
</pre>

like this (pretend the periods are spaces)

oo..........oo
.......oo

most of the other spiders have eyes that are different sizes, 8 of them, different placement, etc... but only recluse should have 3 dyads, fiddleback, right shape, right locations etc

i'll grant however, this is not *my* prefered method of id'ing living spiders =P

EDIT:

hrm, i can't make my ascii art (heh) work... is there a <pre> tag available?

Last edited:

reclusekiller

Arachnopeon
lol i found a bug last month and i squashed it because it was crazy all of a sudden tenticles were comming out of its dead body and they were going up like 2 inches after 5 minutes i was like wtf haha.. i never kill spiders i let them go :)

N!Nj4_M!k3

Arachnopeon
I hate to sound cold on the inside, but a infestation of recluse spiders in your room..... sounds like a worst possible senario to me. I'd go Terminator with gernades and fully automatic machine guns.....

...but i got bit by a brown recluse and lost some feeling in my fingers, so, i guess its pent up resentment :(

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hate to sound cold on the inside, but a infestation of recluse spiders in your room..... sounds like a worst possible senario to me. I'd go Terminator with gernades and fully automatic machine guns.....
I once read a study in which a house was found to be home to more than 3,000 L.reclusa. From the basement to the attic....yet.....in all of the years (30+) that the owners lived in the home.....never a bite.
They are very reluctant biters.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
i dont know very many people in the town i live in, as its not my hometown, but i know 9 people here who have proof that brown recluse will bite readily, one of them is a guy i worked with a little over a year ago

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont know very many people in the town i live in, as its not my hometown, but i know 9 people here who have proof that brown recluse will bite readily, one of them is a guy i worked with a little over a year ago
What exactly is the proof? Did they actually see the spider bite them? Or are the stories retold by a friend of a cousin of a sister who's mother saw one in a laundry pile and the next day woke-up with a bite?
Even if they were hospitalized....this is still not proof that they were infact bitten by a Recluse. The vast majority of the medical community do nothing more than make assumptions based on the stories as they are relayed by the purported "victim"
I can tell you from personal experience that they are reluctant biters. i.e., me sticking my finger right smack dab in front of them and prodding them with my other finger to encourage them to climb aboard.
Not that I am discounting your story, but I am so tired of the "drama" that is associated with these poor, docile, creatures.
I live in an area where they "do not exist"....yet, people will still argue with me that they know someone who has been bit by one.
And I am sorry......perhaps I should specify......yes, they will bite readily if they are in fear of being crushed by someone as they crawl into the ol' bed.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We have them here, southeastern missouri. If I see them, the method I use to "remove" them is to stomp on them (shoe on) and put their corpse in the garbage. I like spiders, but not that species.

They are not agressive, and in 99 cases out of 100, the person bitten is fine. I still kill them though.

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are not agressive, and in 99 cases out of 100, the person bitten is fine. I still kill them though.
Thank you.....except for that last part!
And btw.....if, by some strange twist of fate, Brown Recluses rule Heaven....then you my friend are in big bIG BIG trouble!

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reclusekiller said:
lol i found a bug last month and i squashed it because it was crazy all of a sudden tenticles were comming out of its dead body and they were going up like 2 inches after 5 minutes i was like wtf haha.. i never kill spiders i let them go :)

sounds like it had a worm in it. I've killed a few crickets that had those come out when they died. once I had a ghost shrimp that had one :confused:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
JPD said:
What exactly is the proof? Did they actually see the spider bite them? Or are the stories retold by a friend of a cousin of a sister who's mother saw one in a laundry pile and the next day woke-up with a bite?
Even if they were hospitalized....this is still not proof that they were infact bitten by a Recluse. The vast majority of the medical community do nothing more than make assumptions based on the stories as they are relayed by the purported "victim"
I can tell you from personal experience that they are reluctant biters. i.e., me sticking my finger right smack dab in front of them and prodding them with my other finger to encourage them to climb aboard.
Not that I am discounting your story, but I am so tired of the "drama" that is associated with these poor, docile, creatures.
I live in an area where they "do not exist"....yet, people will still argue with me that they know someone who has been bit by one.
And I am sorry......perhaps I should specify......yes, they will bite readily if they are in fear of being crushed by someone as they crawl into the ol' bed.
I have to agree w/ you on this! 100%! I go through this all the time in my area. I have heard about so many people getting bit by *recluse spiders* that I want to smack them! They don't know the facts, and believe all the hoopla going around about them. Especially the ER here. They are a joke. Everything is a spider bite. Anything that start to get infected, is a recluse bite :rolleyes:

I have only seen ONE in person, and that was at Camp Lejuene while I was there for training. It was in one of the barracks, and I captured it, and didn't realize what I had until I looked very closely, it was the EXACT replica of the one you have for your avitar. Unreal. But I took it far away, and let it go. I do not think it is fair to kill them for no reason.

NOW, I will tell you something unbelievable, that I see on the Morning Show about 2 days ago. This Bug Man, that has been on TV, Animal Planet, etc. He had an Austrailian Huntsman spider crawling on him, and it was very active, but NEVER got aggressive. THEN, he PUT it in his mouth, and was talking w/ it in his mouth. I THOUGHT I would die. I couldn't believe the *type* spider he was playing with. Anything else, maybe....but :eek:

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everything is a spider bite. Anything that start to get infected, is a recluse bite
I almost forgot about this....when I worked at a public health clinic here in Seattle, one of the docs called me with some questions regarding a possible recluse bite. I asked if they had retrieved the spider and of course they hadn't.
I told them that they can be 99.9% positive that it wasn't a recluse....."How can you be so sure?......We think it is.....it certainly looks like one..."
(At this point I am thinking......"and why exactly did you call me?"
Anyway.....Upon a more extensive examination and Q&A period, come to find out that they had spent the weekend camping and mosquitoes were everywhere! "We were itching like crazy"
Case closed.