do they like tis?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was browsing the internet again, searching for centipedes, then I found this site: http://atshq.org/ats2001pix/June15.htm

Since I'm not really into pedes, I have read several stories about pedes don't really like to be handled..

When you see that page, on the 3 picture on the left column, the guy is handling a huge pede, now I want to know ... do pedes like to be handled that way?

Ðennis

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Dennis,
For the most part, pede handling (especially S. subspinipes) is a big risk. A bite from a giant centipede is very painful. (see bite report forum on this site) Also, pain relievers like morphine etc. are reported to have little or no effect on the pain.
There was a great lecture given by Darrin (of Golden Phoenix Exotica, the guy holding the pede) during that particular demonstration. Unfortunately, the pic just can't sum up the whole of it. I was lucky enough to see the video of that same lecture at a Denver ATS party. I personally don't think the pic should be on their site without at least a synopsis of the lecture but how could you not post such a great pic? :)

See ya.

Atrax

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, i don't think I'm experienced enough to get a centipede, and when i do get one I'm not ever going to handle it. My Rosie is scary enough already!

Now that we're talking about keeping centipedes, what does it take to have one? I mean, keeping then doesnt seen to be any harder then keeping scorps, they don't climb the glass, and don't seem extremely fast (I might be wrong about this one)... But they are gorgeous!! (so far the Steve Irwin talk)

So, what's the hardest about keeping them, compared to keep spiders, who climb out of their container as soon as you lift the lid up?

Ðennis

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok , centipedes need a good enviorment.

They are master escape artists
And if they bite you , trip to the hospital with the worst pain of your life and constant vomiting of a yellow fluid.
They are extremely agile, and will not hesitate to bite you.

These are hardcore animals . Not for the inexperienced.

Oh and btw they need a good moist substrate in the tropical ones

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All good points Bob.
I would say the "thing" with keeping them is that they are so easy to piss off. They are incredibly defensive. You touch it, it will strike. You breathe on it, it will react violently. You look at it wrong, it will not back down from you. (ok, that last one was a littel goofy) but seriously, their speed is incredible and that mixed with a serious temper and hot venom is what I would consider the hardest thing with keeping them.
Oh yeah, they can't climb glass but when they decide to spaz-out, I have seen more than one of mine fling itself airborne before. LOL!

See ya.

Atrax

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its not hot , more like , warm lol.

I almost got bitten by a 10 inch wild PR giant and it was the scariest experience of my life.
And I have seen people get bitten by those large ones . It really is scary. People scream for hours on end in pain.

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, not hot in the "lethal" sense but I wouldn't want to be the one to say it's warm to someone who's been bitten. ;) lol.
I always considered the term "hot" to describe anything that may involve a hospital trip. Is that not the general definition for that term?

Was it in Peru that you witnessed the people bitten?

Atrax

Last edited:

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No , you see ever six months or so I go on a trip in the carribean and I go from island to island.
Last time I got a stomach virus and went to the hospital and saw a person with a centipede bite.

They brought the centipede in with its head choped off.....
Happened a few times before.
Most common of all are stings from caterpillars. Oh man do those hurt. They fall from trees and sometimes land on you.