African T's part II

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
continued form here

Caught some more pics recently while rehousing a few. Hopes ya dig it.

I'm alternating some pics of H. maculata and S. calceatum to show the difference between the two....they get confused all the time apparently...and if I hafta tell you which are which... {D

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's some Pterino. sp. pics...not sure exactly what they are yet. Gonna have to wait for them to molt I think. These definitely look like they were burrowing in some hard terrain wherever they were caught.

Take care

Gary

Attachments

Last edited:

Ravienne

Arachnopeon
Wow. She's pretty mad. If ever a spider needed a tranqualizer dart. . .

Beautiful spiders! :cool:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last pic was the best looking specimen (until the rest molt anyhow....but I still love them all. ;) ) out of several I received recently. Lugardi? Murinus? Something else? Dunno. :wall:

The pic was taken by OldWorldSpiders before he sent them to me. Since I've had them, this one has sealed itself in and refuses to show so much as a tarsus.

Take care

Gary

Attachments

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow Gary! Excellent shots. I've been trying really really hard not to buy anything for awhile. This post almost pushed me over the edge. :)

Gilbert

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That H. maculata is gorgeous. I need one of those lol. :D

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I almost bought a P.Lugardi..but didn't cause I already have and OBT. One of that species is enough. I need to replace my A.genic. I think a C.crawshayi sounds good!!! :clap:

Kumalo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Harpactira cf. guttata

H. maculata offspring:

Stromatopelma calceatum male

Ceratogyrus bechuanicus mating

juvenile Pt. murinus TCF

Another Cer. bechuanicus mating

Hyterocrates hercules

Pterinochilus chordatus sling

Pterinochilus murinus (usambara mountain variant)

Citharischius crawshayi

Pterinochilus murinus red colour form

Regards,
Philipp

Last edited:

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice pics, everyone. :clap:

Gary, I see that S. calceatum and H. maculata are often confused as well. I've found that the undersides of these two species are even more telling than the top.

H. maculata female
S. calceatum female

Last edited:

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kumalo said:
Hi,

Harpactira cf. guttata

Some very nice pics :clap:

I didn't know that there are any real Harpactira spp. available in the trade.
Is it definitely ID'ed? Is it WC? If so, do you happen to know collecting locality?
(Und die interessanteste Frage von allen: kann man die Tierchen noch irgendwo bekommen? :drool: )

Last edited:

Kumalo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

to answer this question I recommend the last edition of the ARACHNE where you can find an article on this species.

And NO it`s not in the trade and it won`t be in the trade within the next 2 years.

Regards,
Philipp Samadi

Last edited:

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi F.J.A.

no real Harpacrira are aviable in the hobby. But remark, there are many dealer who offer "H. curvipes", "H. tigirna" or even "H. gigas" - but i never saw a real one under those "offers".

The problem why there are no imports or no in the hobby, you can read on my website baboonspiders.de.

Here a picture of a very nice african baboonspider.

Attachments

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

ok, thanks for the answer, time to do some reading...

1.0 Pterinochilus murinus (red color form, subadult):

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
corvus said:
Hi F.J.A.

no real Harpacrira are aviable in the hobby. But remark, there are many dealer who offer "H. curvipes", "H. tigirna" or even "H. gigas" - but i never saw a real one under those "offers".

The problem why there are no imports or no in the hobby, you can read on my website baboonspiders.de.

Here a picture of a very nice african baboonspider.
That's why I've asked (mislabelled Pterinochilus...)
I remember I have talked to you about this issue some time ago (time to have a closer look at your homepage :8o )

BTW: That's really a NICE spider :eek:

Last edited:

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here you will find some actual References:

SAMADI, J. P. (2005): Lebensweise und Kokonbau von Harpactira cf. guttata im natürlichen Habitat. ARACHNE 10(3): 6-12

WENDT, I. & T. RAAB (2005): Die Gattung Pterinochilus (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Harpactirinae), mit Hauptaugenmerk auf Pterinochilus murinus POCOCK, 1897. ARACHNE 10(3): 13-23

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man those are some unbelievable specimens folks. The Xeno is incredible as well as the Harpactira cf. guttata pic. I'm blown away with those man....especially knowing I can't have one yet! :(

Good luck on the bechuanicus breeding, Kumalo. I'm hoping for a sac from this species currently as well.

Long live the 8 legged tribal warriors of the hobby! :worship:

Gary

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice pics everybody!! :drool:

I love looking at African Ts. {D