ID please

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Conan said:
Can i get an ID on this one please?
Yes - looks to me like some species of Aphonopelma - did you find it outside? Cute little guy! Good find!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id...

I can say with reasonable clarity that your T appears to be in the Aphonopelma family. Is that a hook I see on one of the front legs? Maybe my morning coffee hasn't taken effect yet...

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok ty for the responses. That helps me alot, every1 else was saying that it looked like a Texas Tan but i just couldnt see it...i see it as more of a Aphonoplema chalcodes or a mexican blonde.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Conan said:
Ok ty for the responses. That helps me alot, every1 else was saying that it looked like a Texas Tan but i just couldnt see it...i see it as more of a Aphonoplema chalcodes or a mexican blonde.
Uh :? I don't quite get in what way the answers you got to your post helped. I mean if everyone was saying it was a Texas tan (isn't this some silly name for an Aphonopelma sp. and then you see it of more of a Aphonoplema chalcodes or a Mexican blonde (another silly name for some Aphonopelma sp. or?)
How can it of helped for to decied what it is when stubby8th and Greg Wolfe also say "looks like some kind of Aphonopelma sp. " ?

Hmmm I'm confused now! :clap:

Last edited:

baldpoodle

Arachnopeon
Its a typical I.E reply there if you ask me.
How can you say its such a species with out decent pictures as the pics are of very poor quality colour wise.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorps_n_Ts said:
1 vote for A. anax here :D
Well, it would help if we could figure out what part of Texas he is from; A. anax is only found in south Texas.

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
weisi said:
Where is Martin and his popcorn?????? :wall:
Since we have locality information for the tarantula and people with knowledge of the natural range of tarantulas in Texas I don't see why this is a "popcorn spider". This book is pretty good when it comes to IDing Texas Ts and is inexpensive. I hope I get the chance to use my copy in the field some day.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agreee, this is not the "popcorn spider". What a lot of these folk miss (the ones who are blindly following the remarks made by Martin et al) is the fact that a precise location is provided, it is this that helps, not the photos at all. In fact one of the most important defining points in theraphosid identification is LOCATION, and it was provided.

So, whoever is being critical in this thread, step back, understand your theraphosid identification issues, then comeback with something, because now you look silly, like a sheep following the flock :)

For eaxample do you know if any other theraphosids are sympatric with this species in this location?? If you cannot answer that then you really have made a mistake.

I think all too often people jump on this "popcorn" bandwagon, which is hilarious to me, I remember discussing photo id without any other info years ago, a while after that Martin et al started commenting here regarding it.

So please, take your time to understand what Martin is saying, then look at the threads :)

Cheers,
Steve

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In fact one of the most important defining points in theraphosid identification is LOCATION, and it was provided.
Absolutely!

There's been a couple recent "ID threads", with pictures and, more importantly, location data, in which people have much to quickly started with the popcorn. I wish the gentleman who posted the pictures in This Thread would post again.

When people start showing pics of their new "Thai earth tiger" picked up at the local petstore... throw all the popcorn you want. But when someone posts pics and includes collection locale (granted the "south of Austin, Texas" information did not come until later in the thread in this case) this can greatly help with an ID... or at least narrow it down considerably.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
A.anax, possibly A.texense, but not A.chacodes

Last edited:

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

I agree. Why 'popcorn' is so popular is beyond me nor do I care of the reputation it is has conceived (AB threads). Aphonopelma taxonomy in Texas with literature can be found at the link noted. As noted in previous thread(s)about Smiths's descriptions is speculative but while reading through Dr. Breene et. al. references are nice and some will find them through the JOA online section ( i.e., Prentice.T.) for the southwest.

Sinc. Chad

David_F said:
Since we have locality information for the tarantula and people with knowledge of the natural range of tarantulas in Texas I don't see why this is a "popcorn spider". This book is pretty good when it comes to IDing Texas Ts and is inexpensive. I hope I get the chance to use my copy in the field some day.

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
redhourglass said:
I agree. Why 'popcorn' is so popular is beyond me nor do I care of the reputation it is has conceived (AB threads).
With pictures even if there only overall body shots and genuine location data I agree you have a much better chance of getting anything like a proper id, but I still think Martin would have his butter and toffee on hold due to the chance (no matter how small) of the being something else in the same range that looks similar (possibly undescribed).

The only other possibility is in a case of something like B.smithi the only other known species it's lightly to be is to the best of my knowledge is B.hamorii but thats an outside chance so percentages come into play as well as looks, but it still comes back again to Martin's arguments that an overall body shot is Simply not enough on its own which is more then fair reasoning after all I could see a picture of a ball and say it’s a ball for sure when in fact it’s a very good CGI of a ball, so unless you can hold it squeeze it ect..

Most ppl posting “popcorn” are just doing it because it’s quite funny and im guessing not though the desire to show there understanding and frustrations with the problems of Theraphosid ID, and in any case Fish and Chips are better anyway or even a nice curry ;).

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But there is still a HUGE difference between someone posting a blurry shot of some Haplopelma or Avicularia that was given to them by someone who thought it was a blondi sold as a rosehair from the local pet store and someone that has found a tarantula and can give a concise locale for it...

Of course, there is no way of knowing 100% (in most cases) but at least in valid ID threads people learn a lot through regional ID methods, and instead of NW or OW we begin to learn that there are a few different countries in South America, and even in Africa and Asia. :)