A.A > Not aggressive??

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As i mentioned before i just got an A.Aust. and he is still little probably in 2nd instar.

When i first set him up, i dropped when cricket, right away, the cricket went near him, and he stabbed the cricket several times, with stinger, very interesting to watch.

Several days later, i dropped another one down, and he completly ignored it, it would walk on top of him, and he did not care at all, is that normal, what aggression is that??? Maybe not hungry?? Is that normal behavoir?

I know the danger associated with the venom, but for <edit> and giggles, i even was taping the top of his mets. near his stinger with finger, and rubbing it, he did not mind.

Should I be concerned, then i observed him at night, which a cricket got near and he scared it off. He moves around though.

Any thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my jacksoni does this as well. one day it might actively hunt the cricket, the next it will ignore it. i think it's akin to letting the cricket feel it's safe and has nothing to fear... then bam, dead cricket. ofcourse that's just what i have seen from watching events occur..

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A:
what you did, especially with little experiance was down right stupid.

B:
its likely just not hungry

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
micjoe said:
I know the danger associated with the venom, but for <edit> and giggles, i even was taping the top of his mets. near his stinger with finger, and rubbing it, he did not mind.
If you were to suddenly stop posting, I would be less than surprised. :rolleyes:

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
If you were to suddenly stop posting, I would be less than surprised. :rolleyes:
LOL! that was good.

But you know, even one death could hurt the whole hobby. So do us all a favor and try base jummping instead if you wana take a risk.

And I also think, it just wasnt hungry.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
misfitsfiend said:
LOL! that was good.

But you know, even one death could hurt the whole hobby.
Thanks, :) you are right, we don't need this foolishness. :mad:

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good lord never ever touch a Androctonus Australis like that, to me there should be no reason to touch a scorpion like that just to see if it moves. Most likely your scorpion is not hungry or its preparing for another molt, but please dont touch it again.....BE SAFE. :)

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You may try increasing temp to up the scorps metabolism. This may (but also may not) increase its frequency to feed.

Other than that, my advise on prodding this scorpion to make it more active is the same as everyone that posted prior to myself. It is just not worth the risk. I'm sure that you wouldn't have wanted this foolish act to be your first and last in regard to an A. australis. Please excercise a little common sense! :embarrassed:

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mc joe hasn't posted for a while...i think he asked it for a kiss :p

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have much experience with scorps. I have a few of the more "tame" ones. But in my short time dealing with arachnids, that was the single dumbest thing I have heard yet. It ranks up there with the moron I had to deal with last year that was bitten his pet cobra while trying to manually de-louse it. Having that been said, just raise the temp or just wait for it to get hungry again. Try and prod it again only if you have first willed me your personal belongings.

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It probably was foolish to get up and personal with my deadly A.A, some say same potentcy as a COBRA. You cannot fear your scorpion, and I do not fear anything. It is just the way I am.

I will soon, have a deathstalker, sharing the tank with a divider, and for all scorpion collectors, we know this hobby is very addicting.

I even have a room I am setting up and do hope to have over 100 scorpions set up very soon.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LD50 is similar for some cobra and A.A. when tested on mice.

i would say just a little tiny baby one isn't *that* likely to stamp you, if it tags you