Feeding tiny G. rosea

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,
I got a G.rosea sling yesterday. Its only about 1/4" legspan. I fed it a mealworm (bigger than the T), but at the petstore was told that they are fed flies. Is it really safe to feed flies? Dont they carry diseases and parasites?

Thanks
Nicky

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they may mean wingless fruit flies, I don't remember the exact name of them.

Pre killed meal worms work well, cut up into smaller bits. As well as small, prekilled crickets. My microscopic 1/4" P. scrofa gets fed cricket legs. :)

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With teeny tiny slings I always pre-kill the prey, be it mealworms, waxworms or crickets. I think this is especially important with a brand-new baby considering that you have no idea where it is in the molt cycle, AND crix have been known to maim or even kill small slings. Better safe than sorry!

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got some quarter inch A geniulata. They're eating the smallest lobster roaches I can find in the culture. I do crush the roaches heads. Two of the babies have molted in the last couple of days and I can't believe how much they grew.

DanD

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nick_schembri said:
Hi,
I got a G.rosea sling yesterday. Its only about 1/4" legspan. I fed it a mealworm (bigger than the T), but at the petstore was told that they are fed flies. Is it really safe to feed flies? Dont they carry diseases and parasites?

Thanks
Nicky

I've tried the "flightless" fruit flies before - they aren't flightless. :rolleyes:
They're a pain in the butt to try to catch and they go everywhere. Pinheads or small pre-killed crickets work much better.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
flour beetle larva.... also known as micro-meal worms

they look like spiky/hairy meal worms, but they max out at 1/4" - 1/3" long

i haven't had anything too small to eat them, including 2nd instar Vaejovis coahuilae (or however you spell that)

and it just so happens i have some starter colonies available.... =P

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can you feed sliced meal worms to slings as a substitute? fruit flies is not available in our country. i dont think people in our country breed fruit flies. :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cloud711 said:
can you feed sliced meal worms to slings as a substitute? fruit flies is not available in our country. i dont think people in our country breed fruit flies. :)
slings will eat sliced bits of bigger bugs happily. the only thing i can think of to watch out for is if you put half a large cricket in with a 1/4" sling it will never be able to eat all of it... you would have to either clean out the remains or they will rot/putrify/stink/attact flies