So you want to know how nasty crickets really are? (*Graphic*)

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About a week ago I decided to offer my King Baboon 1 thawed fuzzy mouse and about 4 crickets as a meal. The crickets had been fed no less than an hour ago and were not starving by any means. I looked in the cage a couple of hours later and I was pretty surprised to see how ravenous they had been to this fuzzy...

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Do roaches do stuff like that too? Can they harm a molting tarantula?

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah because roaches are alot better than crickets....*sarcastic voice*

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep roaches and crickets and nobody believes me that the crickets are far nastier. And to answer the above question, I imagine most any animal could harm a molting tarantula. If I see one of my Ts flip over to molt, I remove everything else from the tank, down to the smallest of crickets.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian F. said:
I keep roaches and crickets and nobody believes me that the crickets are far nastier.
Yes. Crickets are much more agressive and cannibalism is very common among them.
I've seen roaches killing themselves only 2 - 3 times (I've got them for a few years).

sublimeskunk37

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WTF? Crickets killed a friggin mouse? WTF is wrong with them? God it makes me hate those things even more...

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They didnt kill it, it was frozen and thawed... but they deff. took a BIG chunk out of it, compared to the crix themselves.. From here on out, i'm not handling them without gloves. iiiick!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crix are omnivorous like humans and roaches. They don't have smell unless they don't have adequate ventilation and/or die, like humans and roaches. Crix make beautiful music and are cute!

sublimeskunk37

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David Burns said:
Crix make beautiful music and are cute!
Yeah they do. Especially the music that's made when my G. Grossa sinkes her nice fangs into one.

CCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry man, I used to like crickets....But I vehemently destest them now after one attacked my Rosie....

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe if you kept the crickets fed well all the time, they wouldn't attack eachother, i haven't had a problem so far with my colony.

Everyone has their preference, i for one prefer crickets because they aren't as creepy imo.

Last edited:

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sheesh! Reminds me of those (graphic) pics on Rotten.com, of dead people found in their homes, who'd been feasted on by rats, or even their own pets. I guess what goes around comes around! ;P

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i feed my crix apples and oranges , and they seem to behave . good ventilation and removal of dead ones is essential . i despise having to handle them with my hands ie ... catching escapees !!! :(