another popcorn T..

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this might yet be another popcorn spider... any idea??
longipedum or the sp. vietnam?
i've tried to take a closer pic at the tarsus... pls forgive me for the pics, but hope it will do.. :)
thanks for the input..

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does anyone else see blue?

It looks like a beat-up WC H. lividum to me, but I don't know a lot about the genus so I may very well be wrong.

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
Does anyone else see blue?

It looks like a beat-up WC H. lividum to me, but I don't know a lot about the genus so I may very well be wrong.
that's not lividum, i think..
i will try to get more pics soon.. ;)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is the spider actually blue or is it just the picture?

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
doesn't look like the post moult blue to me just looks like it has some blue in the colouration

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here's some pics again..

this one is pre-molt...

then here's some after molt...i don't think it is cobalt blue.. the color on the leg are a little bit purple-bluish compared to the picture..

and i've noticed that this specimen has hairs(moustache) around the fangs...something like schmidti and hainana... what do u guys think?

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Either way mate you have an awesome looking t there its going to be a stunner especially when it puts on a bit more beef

Could it be a halfbreed maybe??
Haplopelma lividum mixed with some other Haplopelma sp?

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i'm not sure what sp is this..maybe someone could shed some light on this.. :rolleyes:

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know much about the genus i was just taking a wild stab in the dark there with the halfbreed suggestion

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow!

The post-molt pic looks so much like H. lividum. I'm don't know which species has the moustache, though. However, I also don't recognize any other species that looks like a Haplopelma spp. that is blue other than H. lividum.

The pre-molt and post-molt pictures look like two completely different spiders (not only in color)!

How long have you had it? Where did you get it? When did it last molt?

Looks like a very nice popcorn spider. :)

LEVIS

Arachnopeon
My best bet would be Haplopelma vonwirthi (formerly known as sp. "vietnam").

Postmolt vonwirthi's tends to have a beautiful blueish coloration which slowly fades as time goes by... and of course they do have the scopula that might appear as "beards" - rather insignificant compared to the well known "beards" of Haplopelma schmidti... But it's there :)

Last edited:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Versus

It's a H. sp. "longipedum" you got there - there are plenty of threads to show you the characteristicas, but send me a PM and I can tell you what, where and how to look for it ;-)

The "moustache" you see is the same kind of hairs (almost) as the ones found in H. schmidti, but only in H. schmidti, and it's close allies is the moustache big and pronounced enough to call "sideburns" or "moustache" - this pad of scopula retrolaterally on the chelicera is one of the main characteristicas for the entire subfamily Ornithoctoninae (and is shared with the african subfamily Harpactirinae - but the differentiation between these two subfamilies is in the structure of the stridulating organ on maxilla prolaterally, and geographical distribution)

Regards
Søren

versus said:
here's some pics again..

this one is pre-molt...

then here's some after molt...i don't think it is cobalt blue.. the color on the leg are a little bit purple-bluish compared to the picture..

and i've noticed that this specimen has hairs(moustache) around the fangs...something like schmidti and hainana... what do u guys think?

Last edited:

LEVIS

Arachnopeon
Hi Søren :)

That was my first thought! Loosely based on the carapace, length of rear legs and so on... But the rear legs just seems a lot less "compact" - compared to the specimens i have seen in the past :)

Appreciate the correction!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Seems there's a lot of colour differentiation in "longipedum" too, which is nice.

This one has a lot of cream colouration, which I really like.

Moulted 2 days ago:

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it doesnt matter now when you know what it is but I just wanted to say this:

Becca just because its blue doesnt mean that is is a H. lividum. The abdomen pattern and color are wrong + the carapace color is also wrong.

Cheers

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
omg... really appreciated the replies from you guys....thanks alot... :worship: :rolleyes:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
Becca just because its blue doesnt mean that is is a H. lividum.

Cheers
I know.

Of course (as I said in my original post), I really don't know much about the genus so I should probably read more and post less. ;)

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a probably dumb question, but what do you mean when you say popcorn T? I also have a haplopelma sp longipedum.

weisi

Arachnopeon
I have a probably dumb question, but what do you mean when you say popcorn T?
Hi Cooper,

use the "search" Button and fill in popcorn......Voila, there are the Answers!