• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Holothele incei

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful. 87 total.

When I noticed that the male had matured I rehoused the female into clean moist substrate and started a burrow for her.

3 weeks after the male matured the female had established a burrow. I moved the male into the females container and after a few minutes they faced off. No tapping that I could see mostly cause I left them in the dark and watched with a dim flashlight. They "embraced" for 20 seconds or so.

Since this species is basically a pet hole I didn't have proper molting records on the female, so that when she went underground after the mating I thought she was going to molt. Also she didn't take any food.

I checked on her, through the side of the container, to see if she had molted.
On 06/05/05 I noticed a sac and was incredibly surprised. Left the sac with the female with the intent of taking it from the female in a few weeks.

Checked on the sac 06/24/05 it was alive with spiderlings. I took the female out of the burrow and found that the slings were moving first instars, maybe 5mm or so in size.

Last edited:

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As of today 080609 I mated my female and a male who's been making spermwebs. They met in the females original container which might be a tad small and shallow, but will hopefully not pose a serious problem. The female is very large over the ophistosoma and I suspect an impendning molt, but since I have two MM and all the time in world I gave it a shot. It took 25 minutes or so, the female approached the male, dancing very lightly. Stepping her way to the male. Looked quite nice. Then they fondled for a good 20 minutes. It seemed he had trouble making the deed. Perheps because she was so heavy, and he was "under" her considering that she was above him in the slope outside the burrow. He could (dared?) barely lift her enough to repeatedly stroke her prosoma and all the way back between the last pair of booklungs. Or so I think. He might have succeded finally, hard to say. He was a bit pressed in the very end and suddenly leaped out from the grip and escaped. She went very slowly back to one of her entrances and dissapered.

I shall keep this updated from time to time. Most likely she'll molt, but I guess he'll have a better clue next time.

Some smallish facts:
She was bought as a sling 060706. No known last molt.
The temp is roughly 23-24 degrees celcius around the clock.
Somewhat moist substrate.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They day after, 20080610 the female had spun her burrow shut and was not seen active after that.

Yesterday (20080820) I took out 38 healthy slings from the container. They were all past nymph stadium and most were around 1 cm legspann. Some were even bigger.

Yay!

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Species:

Holothele Incei

Date Bred:

05-13-2008 @ 12:00 PM

Conditions:

70 Degrees F & 63% Ambient Humidity

Species Details:

Female details: Adult 3"
Male details: Adult 2 1/2"

Prior Information on pair:

Female's last molt is unknown. The male had his mature molt on 04/08/08. I’m not sure of last sperm web.

Pairing:

The male arrived via USPS at 11:30 a.m. and I immediately placed him in the female’s tank. By 12:00 p.m. the male had already found the female’s burrow, and he had encouraged her to come out. I saw three separate matings with several insertions within a half an hour time frame.

Breeding:

Successful

Post observations:

5/15--Female immediately enclosed herself.

6/10--egg sac--26 days for gestation.

07/11---babies!!!!! I didn’t see the sac, so I undug them and found fully formed 2nd or 3rd instars crawling around! I counted about 5 before putting the soil back.

07/18--Mom dug a hole out—4th or 5th instars--about 50 babies

Last edited:

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2nd female

Species:

Holothele Incei 2

Date Bred:

06-11-2008 @ 1:00 PM

Conditions:

75 Degrees F & 51% Ambient Humidity

Species Details:

Second Female details: Adult 3 1/2"
Male details: Adult 2 1/2"

Prior Information on pair:

This is the second female (and larger than the first); her last molt is unknown. The male is the same male from 1st mating/female-- had his mature molt on 04/08/08. I’m not sure of last sperm web.

Pairing:

I placed the male in the female’s tank, and as soon as I put him in, he found the female and began drumming to her. Within 5 minutes they were mating. They mated for 2 days before female enclosed herself inside a burrow.

Breeding:

Successful

Post observations:

I can not see this female. So I can only assume, and count days based off first female.

Second egg sac—assuming second female laid a sac—26 days gestation would be 07/06/08.

Success!!!!!!!!--- 08/06/08—56 days—from breeding to Mom digging out a hole and the slings are definitely about 3rd or 4th instar! I counted 70 babies from this mating.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
H. incei.

Overall status: Pending

Temp: Constant 81F, humidity unknown but probably high considering my location.

Male and female cohabitated from 6/1/09 - 6/30/09 before being removed from the enclosure.

Female molted on 8/1/09.

Male reintroduced on 8/5/09 and cohabitated until he was eaten on 8/18/09.

Female dropped sac today, 9/17/09. Sac is about 1/2" in diameter.

I will update when necessary.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Found the female dead today. After investigating her burrow, it appears she attempted to make two sacs; neither had eggs in them. Her abdomen was quite large, so I'm considering the possibility of her eggs being impacted, leading to her failure to drop a sac and her death.

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Holothele incei breeding

Mating: 21th April 2009.

Kokon laid: 02nd May 2009.

Kokon opened: 24th May 2009. (L2)

First moult: 02nd June 2009.

Number of sling: 121

Bad egg: 1

There were no died larvels.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Successful.

Paired on 4.21.10, male had several successful insertions.
Female sealed herself in within 24 hours.
Sac laid on 5.2.10 (11 days post-insertions).
Pulled sac on 5.23.10 after three consecutive days of not being able to see the sac. Found 32 1st instar in with the female, and the female was fat and glowing yellow when candled.
1st instar molted to 2nd instar on 5.26.10.
Total time from sac to 2i: 24 days.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Female 2:

Successful.

Paired on 4.28.10, male had at least two successful insertions.
Female sealed herself in within 24 hours.
Sac laid on 5.9.10 (11 days post-insertions).
Observed 2i slings inside female's burrow. I'll be leaving these with her and starting a communal. We'll see how that pans out.

Female looks quite plump for having not eaten for a month. I wouldn't be surprised if she drops a second sac.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Holothele incei breed report!

success in the end! (double clutch)

I stuck the male in with female! They had a couple sesions(over the 5 days i left him in there!) i fattened her up over the next 6 weeks, she then laid an egg! i then wanted to see if i take the egg 2 days after it was maid if i could get spiderlings! I ended up bursting some of the eggs and the rest stuck together! what an idiot!
I then kept feeding feemale normally & one day i saw another egg sack! ive double cluched cambridgei before but with a second mating sesion! So i didnt expect the eggs to be furtile! I then wanted to leave the egg sack with her for my normal 25-->30 days! but at day 26 i saw to my surprise 2nd instars all over the web!
I then cleared them out ang got81 spiderlings to molt into full spiders and a further 6 never made it!

very cool!!!!

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Mating: 03th Aug 2010.

Kokon laid: 17th Aug 2010.

Kokon opened: 03rd Sept 2010. (L1)

Molt to L2: 13th Sept 2010.

First molt: 20th Sept 2010.

Number of slings: 119

There were no bad egg or died larven in the eggsac.

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Holothele incei "GOLD"

Holothele incei "GOLD" - the 1st breeding in Hungary

Mating: 03rd July 2010.

Kokon laid: 13th July 2010.

Kokon opened: 26th July 2010. (L2)

First molt: 07th Aug 2010.

Number of slings: 80

There were 21 bad eggs in the sac.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Mating: 02nd Aug 2010.

Kokon laid: 17th Aug 2010.

Kokon opened: 03rd Sept 2010. (L1)

Molt to L2: 13th Sept 2010.

First molt: 20th Sept 2010.

Number of slings: 106

There were no badd egg or larven in the eggsac.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Mating: 03rd Aug 2010.

Kokon laid: 27th Aug 2010.

Kokon opened: 13th Sept 2010. (L1)

Molt to L2s: 15th Sept 2010.

First molt: 23th Sept 2010.

Numvber of slings: 69

There were 7 bad eggs in the eggsac.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Successul...

Sometime December 2010 - introduced male into female plastic bin. both came from a communal set-up that I had. Male taken out after 3 days.

Feb 3, 2011 - Noticed the female with a sac

Feb 19, 2011 - Checked to see babies crawling inside mommy's burrow.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holothele incei "Gold" - Successful!

The female was paired multiple times to two different gold males over the span of two months leading up to the sac. The eggsac was produced on 6/4/11 and opened on 6/18/11. The entire sac was eggs with legs at this point. 1st instar was reached on 6/25/11 and 2nd instar on 7/7/11. Final count was 94.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holothele incei "Gold" - Successful! #2

The same female that dropped the first eggsac for me, dropped another not too long after the first. She was paired multiple times in that timespan, but I'm not aware if she molted or not as I wasn't keeping a very good eye on her. Either way, it's her second eggsac full of slings. The eggsac was discovered on 9/27/11, and was pulled 11/1/11. At that time they were a mix of eggs, duds, EWL's, and 1st instars. It was an intersting mix to say the least. By 11/11/11, all of them had reached 1st instar. 2nd instar was reached just a few days after. I'm not sure of the exact date because I kept them together for so long within the incubator. Temps were kept in the mid 70's and the humidity was near 100%.

I've got no pictures of the 2nd instars because of the setup they're in, but they are all being kept communally at this point, and I think the final count was in the 50-70 range. The female was paired a few more times after the eggsac, and up until now it was going well, but the male finally got munched last night.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful.

"Special Care": Female's container was kept over my emperor scorpion tank, which is heated. I could tell by feeling the jar that it was being kept warmer than my other spiders, but I have no idea as to what the temperature was in there. She molted some time in March, no idea of the date, as pieces of it were strewn about the burrow entrance. The male was received April 11, and laid down a sperm web in the next few days. Again, exact date unknown.

Pairing: 15 April 2012. The male and female's containers were placed in a 10 gallon tank and opened. The male's container was raised up slightly so the lips of the containers would be aligned.

Observations of the Hook Up: Between the hours of 7 and 8 PM, I placed both the male and female's containers in a 10 gallon tank. The containers were left open, with the male's raised slightly so the lips of the containers were close, allowing an easy journey for the male. After about 20 minutes of no activity, I dimmed the lights and dropped a piece of the female's web in the male's container. The male almost immediately began tapping and making very jerky movements toward the web. After investigating that, the male climbed out of his container and walked around the lip of the female's jar. He continued tapping. The female emerged from her burrow almost instantly upon sensing the vibrations from the male's tapping. The male continued his tapping and jerky movements as he approached. The female showed absolutely no signs of aggression towards the male. When they came into physical contact with each other, the male shoved his legs under hers and they began to do what appeared to be stroking legs(possibly the male was just having difficulty lifting her up too). He hoisted her up, exposing her ventral side, and was vigorously stroking her abdomen. It was difficult to see if any insertions were made, but I did catch one of his pedipalps pause near the female's epigastric furrow for a second or two. This process lasted for a few minutes. Exact time unknown. Soon after he hoisted her up even higher, almost flipping her on her back. The female seemed to lose interest and scurried back down her burrow. The male attempted to follow, but was soon finding himself backing out. He still pursued by tapping at her entrance, with no luck. Now, the female has another entrance to this burrow, which he sat on top of while tapping. With no response from the female, he began to clean his front legs and his pedipalps(cleaning of the pedipalps is considered to be a sign of a successful insertion). He would tap for a minute or so, then groom himself for about 5 minutes at a time. The female's legs emerged after almost 2 hours, but apparently wasn't interested in mating again. The male proceeded to wander out of the jar, and I returned him to his container(after a small chase).

Post Mating Care: Nothing special. On 16 April 2012, the female plugged up one of her burrow entrances with substrate. I attempted another pairing, and the male tapped, but the female was uninterested. On 17 April 2012, I noticed both entrances to her burrow were covered. One with substrate, the other with webbing. I attempted to feed her dubia roaches, but she was not interested. On 8 May 2012, I noticed both of her burrow entrances were sealed with substrate. I was able to see the chamber by looking under her jar, and noticed it had been webbed up(possible sac preparation/laying?).

Time to Sac: Unknown. As mentioned before, noticed her chamber was webbed up on May 8th.

Care of Sac: Left with female.

Time to Emerge: Unknown, but burrow was noticed to have been opened up and slings were seen in her burrow on 5 June 2012.

Final Details: No idea how many slings I have. They are all in the burrow and I cannot coaxe them out.

Last edited:

martin lees

Arachnopeon
Successful.

Special care.
None really,Male bought at BTS show on 20 th may,2012 from Craig mackay.he did a sperm web a couple of days later.

Pairing.
26 th May,2012
Mm got an insert straight away,and was then removed

Post mating care.
Two days after mating the female webbed up her burrow,so I placed her tank on the top shelf in spider room 82' which is slightly warmer than we're she was.

Time to eggsack.
26 days.8 th June,2012

Pulled Eggsack.
1 st July,2012
Noticed 109 N2,s

Final details.
7 th July,2012. All molted to spiderlings.

109 N2
Hopefully most of these will go to members of MISC(Manchester invert and spider club)

Last edited:

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Successful!

Hololthele incei "Gold"

This marks good eggsac number three from the same female! The female was paired multiple times between the months of 5/12 and 6/12 and she also managed to gobble the MM. Since I couldn't see into her hide at all, I have absolutely no idea when the eggsac was produced. 2nd instars were observed running out of her burrow when I poured water into her substrate on 7/25/12. Either this eggsac was very small to begin with or there was a considerable amount of cannabalism that took place while I was gone between 7/25/12 and 8/9/12. I dug up the mother and and all of her slings, and after thoroughly searching every square inch of the substrate, I only found 15 2nd instars. Some have already started to molt to 3rd instar so I'm fairly sure some of them managed to eat some of their sacmates. The humidity was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80% inside of her burrow during the whole process and the temps were kept between 70-80 degrees.

Final count: 15 - 2nd and 3rd instars

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Paired them up late in the evening,male climbed into the females tub and immediately started tapping to which she came running out her burrow towards him before stopping and tapping back.The process took about 10minutes in all and the mating was done very quick with no aggression atall.Straight afterwards she ran back into her burrow and started sealing the entrance before i could even get the male out.3 weeks went by and she was looking huge (only ate one lobster roach after mating) so i placed her on a warmer shelf (80F) and soaked the substrate alittle.Not long after that she dropped a sac.i left it with her for 22 days and then pulled it to find around 40 N2 and a single N1 with 4 bad eggs

mated just once 20/10/12
eggsac produced 18/11/12
eggsac pulled 9/12/12
around 40 babies :)
now feeding up for another sac i hope