• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Vaejovis carolinianus

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I went hunting today with a friend of mine who is also a member of this board. We hadjust started hunting when I found a small Vaejovis carolinianus. In an attempt not to lose her I tried to pin her tail down with my finger. Everything went alright until I tried to pic her up. She got me on the end of my thumb. Initial pain was like most of the bee stings I have gotten. That lasted only a few minutes. Then it started tingling and was tender at the sting site. About two hours after, I got a little queezy and the tingling had spread into my shoulders and neck along with a stiffness in my neck. It is now approximately five hours after the sting and I have no ill effects other than a slight tenderness right at the sting site

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been stung by this species several times. I guess they were all dry stings because all I experienced was a slight itching at the sting site.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Got my second sting from this species yesterday afternoon, and I'm still feeling the effects the day afterwards. The first time I got nailed by one of these was several years ago, and it was about like a wasp or hornet sting, very painful at first(comparable to grabbing the wrong end of a lit cigarette), then some tenderness at the site of the sting(on the back of my pinkie finger)for about 2-3 days, but that was it. The first scorp was inside the lid of an automatic dog feeder, and I got stung as I lifted the lid. The one that got me yesterday was inside a heavy wooden door to a dog pen, underneath a horizontal brace board, and I laid my hand right on top of the scorpion as I reached inside to pull open the door. I got stung at the base of my middle finger, palm side. Again, the initial pain was very sharp and burning, like grabbing a lit cigarette, with some slight swelling, but that quickly subsided, only to be replaced by one of the worst headaches I've ever had, starting at the base of my skull and radiating up the sides of my head. It felt like I'd received a karate chop to the back of my neck. I also had some tingling in my fingers, besides just the one I got stung on, but that subsided in about two hours. The headache is still with me, though, and is not responding to Ibuprofren at all. My eyes feel like they are having some trouble focusing. This is like a milder version of a sting by a Centroides species I got 12 years ago, which left me with neurological effects for nearly 3 months. I hope this headache does not last that long. Do people build up sensitivity to scorpion venom with repeated exposure? I got stung by a Pandinus imperator a few weeks ago, and it was NOWHERE near this bad, despite the fact that the perpetrator in this case was only a bit over an inch long.

pitbulllady

SalS

Arachnopeon
I've been stung by these a few times and didn't have any adverse effects. There was a bit of pain at the site (finger tip). Then there was some localized numbess that lasted about 30 minutes. I have also had one tag me on my leg (don't carry a few scorpions in a deli cup in your cargo pockets) and I got the same reaction.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was showing a new friend my scorpions today and as usual I was poking around looking for most of them. My carolinianus is still stuck in a critter keeper with thin pieces of slate made for hides. I picked up a small chunk n one of the corners and came up with his stuck in the side of my pinky just next to the nail. Even though it took me by surprise I was able to keep for accidentally flinging him across the room. Almost in an instant he dropped into the critter keeper and ran for the nearest hide. In about 5 seconds the pain hit. I ran hot water on it (read something about it in a thread) but it didnt help much. Not to worried about the venom I went out for a game of frisbee with the gf and after about 30 minutes the pain was out of my mind after hitting the ground from chasing the frisbee. I still have a little reddish lump where it stung me, and it hurts if I touch it. Other than that, nothing to really be concerned about .... but of course it was only 5 hours old. Hopefully I dont end up eating my words.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tabbaco

ive just recently started hunting these and when i leave i am gona bring ciggarets ,i dont smoke my father did ,he showed me if u get stung chew up a ciggarete and spit outthe brown stuff in it .(rub it in)onto the area u were stung and it will take away the pain instantly its amazing i swear to yall try it and be amazed

Last edited:

Dandrurus67

Arachnopeon
I've had two V. carolinianus stings. Both of them were like a mild bee sting and really not worth paying any extra attention to, although the first one did result in a swollen-stiff finger for about 30 minutes.