Tarantula Enclosures

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I remember a thread not to long ago mentioning how we should take a leaf out of the scorpion forum's book and have a thread devoted to enclosures. So, I have decided to create this thread. This thread os for TARANTULA ENCLOSURES(anything from planted terrariums to pill bottles).

Alright arachnoboardians, lets see where you keep your T's

P.S. Hopefully this will become a sticky, like the scorpion forum ;)

Last edited:

hike34

Arachnopeon
I am almost emberrest to post this pic - It's an old one, but you can get the idea -
One 73 c"m tank, split in two, with live plants in both - the plants are 'air plants'. not sure what their name is in english, but their gimic is that they don't have roots, they get their nutrients from the air - I lightly mist them twice a week....

That was the idea, but the T's had diffrent ones... they no longer exist.

Last edited:

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I am working on enclosures this weekend. I will post pix later!

Looking to be housing aboreals first......

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK...I'll contribute. Click here to see a 20 gallon regular tank I divided into 3 seperate enclosures for my arboreals a while back, complete with decorations. Enjoy!!! :D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great! I just bought an exo-terra for my avic and I'm looking for inspiration! Any one who uses live plants, please tell us what they are--I'm a bit stumped on this!

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My habitats

My favorite enclosures are my 6 Spider Cubes. I designed them and had someone who runs an acrylic cage company make them for me. I initially wanted to build them myself, but realized very quickly that the only stuff I knew about acrylic was that I didn't know nearly enough to build them. I'm getting ready to have 3 more built for me. Most of my spiders are too small for them as of yet. My goal is to eventually have all of my spiders in these cubes all over my walls.

This is my subadult female P. pulchra's cage, and her sitting out, being beautiful in it. This picture was taken just a week or so after the cages were hung up. She has since done much decorating with webbing, but still seems plenty content to just sit out on her bark.

This is of the first four hung up. Now all 6 are hung up, and I love them! The contents of these cages are (clockwise, starting at the top left): G. rosea, P. regalis, OBT, and P. pulchra. The two not pictured are my B. smithi and B. boehemi cubes.

Since these pictures I have added water dishes to those who didn't have them, and some more silk plants to add some color, some more climbing/hiding surfaces, and some more visual stimulation.

All of my others are in small display boxes, or critter keepers, with bark and silk plants, and water dishes (accordingly). Of course my H. lividum has no bark or silk plants, but has a water dish. The spiders that are too small don't have water dishes yet.

Last edited:

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wooow, I love the wall mounting idea, fantastic job man.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's a few shots of my different enclosures:

PS - it would be great if the photos could be resized so that they don't require scrolling to see the entire picture. It's much easier to view that way!

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
HA Ha ...nice guys now it's my turn!'

Mostly All-Glass mfg. 2.5 gallon glass cages with screen lids. The cool thing about these 2.5 gallon are the abiltity to move them easy and there are Betta dividers that slide in from the top. They present the perfect opportunity for a small arboreal sling to juv. setup.

Here is a pic of what they look like with the dividors in:

The others are All-Glass mfg. 10 gallon Critter cages w/ sliding screen lids standing the thier sides for the arboreals.

Last edited:

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perhaps one day my spider room will look that nice and organized, great pics!

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i notice nobody is using heat mats or any kind of heat generator,do you heat your room or is it warm enough where you live?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
king7 said:
i notice nobody is using heat mats or any kind of heat generator,do you heat your room or is it warm enough where you live?
Room temperature is fine for most species.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
My room that I keep them in is a dedicated room that maintains 60-70% relative humidity and an ambient temperature of 79 degees F.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just finished this one last week before i got my P. canserides.

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
king7 said:
surely this cant be the same in the uk?

Surer can, I don't use heat mats, just a small oil filled radiator (Argos £29.99), dosen't cost that much to heat whole room, about £1-£5 per week, depending on time of year.

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ill have to work out if its cheaper than running 4 heat mats :wall:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
king7 said:
surely this cant be the same in the uk?
If you kept your flats at a decent temp it would be ;)

Basically, most Ts will thrive anywhere between 72F-85F.