Nhandu Chromatus

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm thinking of purchasing a few of these beauts. But first, if anyone could be so kind, i need some info on care! All i can gather is that they're not particularly offensive.

How about moisture, burrowing?? they certainly dont look like any kind of aboreal. is peat moss ok for substrate? Thanks ya'll, in advance!

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
65 People viewing T questions & discussion, someone's got to have an answer! :p

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I care of mine pretty much like I care of my A. Geniculata , or maybe check the care sheet on this web site, go in care sheet and click on Nhandu coloratovillosus, wich is pretty much the same care also:

http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk/

Last edited:

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just got home and checked the puter. N chromatus are very attractive spiders with attitude. The three I've got will all throw up a threat display when pushed, one of them if pushed or not. They eat well and grow fairly quickly. I keep them on peat with a buried cup for a hide and a water dish. One of them uses the cup, one has burrowed under and around his, and one doesn't hide from anything. I started with damp peat so I could pack it, but have let it dry out. I do moisten the area around their water dish. I like the coloratovillosus a little better, but N chromatus are great spiders.

DanD

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep mine on dry peat with a full water dish. They are really nice looking tarantulas. They do have a bit of an attitude though.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine on dry substrate, with a water dish. I provided enough substrate (eco-earth) to burrow, and fake plants arranged like a little cave for a hide. My little chromatus dug out a little under the leaves, but not too much. Its usually out in the open, sitting just infront of its hide. I haven't seen much defensivness from mine, but it's quick to run to its hide when disturbed. It eats a lot, and is growing like a weed. :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Theya re one of the very few n/w T's that I miss keeping. I'm actually considering keeping a couple again soon. As it's already been mentioned, they do make a very nice display T. Not too shy and even a little attitude. Personally, I was always blown away with the coloration and patterns in this species over the others in the genus but it's cousins are definitely something to look at too. :)

Gary

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BileDrunk said:
Theya re one of the very few n/w T's that I miss keeping. I'm actually considering keeping a couple again soon. As it's already been mentioned, they do make a very nice display T. Not too shy and even a little attitude. Personally, I was always blown away with the coloration and patterns in this species over the others in the genus but it's cousins are definitely something to look at too. :)

Gary
im lovin mine,, just got her today and she is a giant beauty see Announcement sections for photo's

maxxxieee

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased mine yesterday, a female, which I named Ayla, and she is now in a 10 gallon tank with substrate so that only 4 inches remain at the top. (they're clumsy climbers and a fall could kill her as she's already a massive size) I gave her 3 hides and shallow water dish with some fake ornamental plants. She is happy as can be and seems to, believe it or not, love being handled! Course... my LD which also isn't meant to be handled for the same reasons, also loves it too, and enjoys sitting with me while watching sports... go figure!

They are ground dwellers, but even tho clumsy on the glass, seem to like to climb and explore. Very showy and visible with an appetite that is very very good. I agree the coloration and patterns are incredible! Just make sure you keep the height of the tank down as much as possible using lots and lots of soft substrate (I use coconut). She seemed to web my hands quite a bit when I first got her home, now she just likes to climb on board with no webbing.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Proof people use the search function;)

N. chromatus are great T's. I've got a 3.5"DLS and cant wait for him to get bigger!

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just bought my first Nhandu chromatus sling, 3/4" for $5. Can't wait for it to arrive. I found these great containers at the Dollar Tree. Ten of 'em for a buck. Should be perfect for my little Nhandu.
View attachment 110715

Tarac

Arachnolord
No one has mentioned that they have terribly irritating hairs, reputed to be one of the very worst in the hobby. I'm lucky and they don't bother me... yet... but be aware if you are sensitive to them that even working with the enclosure could cause a very nasty reaction. I have three still (traded three a while back out of six total) and they do grow fast, pretty much all on par with each other which is different for me than many other lots of slings I get where they stratify in size not long after acquiring them. Mine all burrowed as slings but did regularly hang out above ground until bothered. Good feeding response. They do seem more or less like A. geniculata as suggested above.

jkelly

Arachnopeon
My TINY N. chromatus sling is almost always on display, eats like a maniac and NEVER retreats from any disturbance, preferring to throw up wild and entertaining threat displays (tantrums?) at every opportunity. Can't wait for the little hellion to get nice and big :eek:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
the thread... HAS COME BACK TO LIFE...AGAIN!!! *creepy music plays* lol...

gl kelly mine was a display before she decided she wanted to be a hidey hole type of T [yay first pet hole!] but no attitude from mine calm gentle gal

Last edited:

jkelly

Arachnopeon
the thread... HAS COME BACK TO LIFE...AGAIN!!! *creepy music plays* lol...

gl kelly mine was a display before she decided she wanted to be a hidey hole type of T [yay first pet hole!] but no attitude from mine calm gentle gal
aww...yesss just one more reason to love Ts!! All such unique individuals!! :)

RykerParsons

Arachnopeon
Im new to the hobby but can i ask why larger enclosures are a bad thing for tarantulas? it would seem to me that having more than foot of roaming space would be nice for any pet, i feel like im keeping it inside a little prison cell with the tank sizes that are recommend for almost any species of tarantula. like i said i dont know much on the subject i just feel the need to know.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Im new to the hobby but can i ask why larger enclosures are a bad thing for tarantulas? it would seem to me that having more than foot of roaming space would be nice for any pet, i feel like im keeping it inside a little prison cell with the tank sizes that are recommend for almost any species of tarantula. like i said i dont know much on the subject i just feel the need to know.

You're looking at it from a human perspective. You'll do better if you look at things from a spider's view. Tarantulas typically have a small piece of territory they consider their own, their whole life revolves that patch of dirt. With their limited eyesight, wandering around outside their retreat/burrow makes them an easy target for predators, like mongeese, honey badgers, baboons, monkeys, coati mundi's, birds, etc. They're not sightseers.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
they dont care about space. they only comprehend that they are not in a secure spot and that a predator might see them when in a over sized cage. Ts dont need a lot of room to be comfortable. a 10 gallon is more than enough for any T except perhaps a theraphosa.(Goliath birdeater) they dont roam very much at al in the wild, whenever they leave their burrow they are at risk of predators eating them. they are ambush hunters that prefer a secure hide in place of open spaces. like Poec54 said, look at it from a Ts perspective.

RykerParsons

Arachnopeon
I can wrap my head around that thanks for the help guys! like i said im new to the hobby so i figured id get my confusion out of the way before hand. thanks again!