Another what is this!

David Richards

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This was sold as a male cobalt blue and molted and is for sure a female but that is all I know for sure, anyone know what it is? When you post can you say whether it is a guess or if you know for sure. thanks dave Here is my guess Chinese Black Tiger???

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Def. Chilobrachy sp!

Rick West has a picture of this T on his site under this title:

Chilobrachys sp. [poss. sericeus (Thorell, 1895)], female - NW. Thailand

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
this picture is totrture considering I have such a weakness for black tarantulas! Whatever she is she is one of the most beautiful I've seen! :clap:

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can you post more pictures of her? that is a beautiful T

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Def. Chilobrachy sp!
Let's not say it's "Def." anything!!!

I'm not making any guesses at all on this thing, or saying it is or isn't a Chilobrachys sp. ... but why do you think it's a Chilobrachys sp.?

It is in a lot of webbing... and does "seem" in that pic to have those nice spinnerets... but not anything to say it's definetly a Chilobrachys sp... or anything to say it's not :)

Dave said:
When you post can you say whether it is a guess or if you know for sure. thanks
Very gorgeous spider you have there!

Last edited:

David Richards

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
More pics soon

I appreciate everyones help, and will post more if I can get a better pic. She molted today so she is doing the usual crumple up and hide thing. dave

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I know how you feel Cruchie!

This is a very nice looking T! Nice addition!

Crunchie said:
this picture is totrture considering I have such a weakness for black tarantulas! Whatever she is she is one of the most beautiful I've seen! :clap:

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no idea what it is but i want one :D

'a weakness for black tarantulas' just black or dark ones to? i had a red rump that was really dark,now i have a red rump sling. :)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, really a nice looking spider.

Happen to have any pre-molt pictures?

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks a lot like this one:

(picture from southernspiderworks.com)

The one in this picture is a Cyriopagopus paganus, though the markings on the rump of yours are different. Yours is one smooth color. Maybe the same genus?

Pretty spider, anyway.

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The one in this picture is a Cyriopagopus paganus, though the markings on the rump of yours are different. Yours is one smooth color. Maybe the same genus?
I'm not going to get into why it's not C. paganus... lots of info on that... if your interested in learning just do a search on this site for that name.

It's not in that genus, and from the pictures I'd say it's not even in the same subfamily as Haplopelma and Cyriopagopus (Ornithoctoninae).

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Id say Chilo to there seems to be a lot of them being sold has sub adult male H.lividum, if you still have the old moult in one piece and cam with good macro or a scope (take pic’s though the eye piece) you could pin it down to subfamily and im sure in this case genus (but little chance of species unless someone with a lot of experence under their belt saw them).

Without that kind of info it just remains lightly a Chilobrachys.sp, but no Ornithoctoninae as Eric has said as there’s no pad’s of setae on the outside of the chelicerae also the long spinneret's point to Chilo and other Selenocosmiinae genra.