Tank size for adult corn/rat snake

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a 29 gallon aquarium (I'm guessing it's a 29...Dimensions are 30"Lx12"Dx18"H). The floor space is the same as a 20L aquarium which is what I was planning on putting my GP rat x corn snake in but since I've got the 29 I was wondering if anyone would recommend using it or just buying a 20L anyway. The only thing that concerns me is the height which is really only an aesthetic concern. Should I maybe use the 29 for some geckos or an arboreal snake or go ahead and use it for the rat x corn snake?

Thanks for any input. :)

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say use it for the corn as the extra height allows you more room for branches, vines, ect; for the snake to climb on. :)

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's kind of what I was thinking. Have to see what I can come up with. Maybe I was just looking for excuses to get a couple crested geckos even though I don't need them. :D

Gracias

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i doubt your corn will use that height as much as a pair of crested geckos though :)

and crested geckos are soooo cute!

fluffy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
36'' is better for cornsnakes and depends on ratsnakes you go for as some can get to 7ft-8ft plus(obselota and taeniura speices) then a 48'' cage would be better
crested need more height than 18'' i would have thought having 2 myself as the extra height is important being that they are an arboreal gecko
lee

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right, 36" is better for corns. I doubt the one I have will get that large though. Never heard of a Great Plains Rat (he's a cross between corn and GPR) getting really huge. I've decided to build a wood cage for him and use the aquarium for a young ball python for now.

As for crested geckos, they would need more than 18" height? With all the room in the tank and plenty of hiding areas?

Psoulocybe said:
i doubt your corn will use that height as much as a pair of crested geckos though
I must have missed this when you posted it. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for putting the idea back in my head. :D Great, another animal I need to do more research on. {D

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Sorry for piggybacking on your thread but since its dealing with tank sizes for corn snakes, I thought why not.
I got a free 40T tank (36"Lx12"Dx24"H). I was wondering if all that height in the tank would be wasted or would my corn climb if branches were provided. (and are corns big on climbing?)

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they may climb some... certainly would give him more room for movement if you have climbing accessories.

i've also taken 29 talls and converted them into two tiered enclosures before... so they would have two floors to work with.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thoth said:
I was wondering if all that height in the tank would be wasted or would my corn climb if branches were provided. (and are corns big on climbing?)

While they aren't predominantly arboreal, if you give them a tall cage with numerous branches, they will use them. They climb trees all the time in the wild in search of cute little birdies to snack on. The 'creases' in their ventral scales are used to provide traction for going up tree trunks. You can keep them without climbing opportunities, but you'll have a better-excercised and more active snake if you give it the opportunity to do what comes naturally.

Steve

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Psoulocybe said:
i've also taken 29 talls and converted them into two tiered enclosures before... so they would have two floors to work with.
Any chance of you posting pic if possible. It would be cool to see.

Thanks steve & psoulocybe for the info and my corn thanks you, when s/he gets big enough fo the new tank.