Solifugids climbing glass

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read something about Solifugids climbing glass on the forum. The Solifugids I have had didn't look like they could, or would climb glass unless I scared them somehow, touched them...whatever. Then, if you look real close while they are climbing the glass, they extend a sticky balloon-like organ out from the ends of the palps and retract them as soon as they let go of whatever it is they were holding on to. They can do this very fast and helps them catch and hold on to prey. Very hard to see because it happens so fast. Somebody has to know more about this. What is that organ called on the end of the palps? I would like to know the mechanics of that sticky thing. It's very strong. I tried to pull a roach away from one while it was eating and it hung on tight with just one palp. I gave up from fear of getting bit. They can climb glass any time. They seem to figure it out sooner or later so keep a top on it. The organ is only about as wide as the tip of the palp and not much color to it. That's why it's hard to see. And like I said, when they aren't using it, its' retracted. Anybody know what that is called?

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
I read something about Solifugids climbing glass on the forum. The Solifugids I have had didn't look like they could, or would climb glass unless I scared them somehow, touched them...whatever. Then, if you look real close while they are climbing the glass, they extend a sticky balloon-like organ out from the ends of the palps and retract them as soon as they let go of whatever it is they were holding on to. They can do this very fast and helps them catch and hold on to prey. Very hard to see because it happens so fast. Somebody has to know more about this. What is that organ called on the end of the palps? I would like to know the mechanics of that sticky thing. It's very strong. I tried to pull a roach away from one while it was eating and it hung on tight with just one palp. I gave up from fear of getting bit. They can climb glass any time. They seem to figure it out sooner or later so keep a top on it. The organ is only about as wide as the tip of the palp and not much color to it. That's why it's hard to see. And like I said, when they aren't using it, its' retracted. Anybody know what that is called?
I have read 3 different articles on them so far, and every one of them just refers to them as "Suction Cups", lol. As for a true scientific name of the organ, I really dont know. Its a pretty interesting discovery though.

I just asked about their glass climbing abilities in my solifugid thread, and I was told it seems they can only climb glass for a while after a molt. But if what you say is true, maybe thats not the case.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"suction cups"....good enough! Wonder how they work? Pretty strange. Strange is good.

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
"suction cups"....good enough! Wonder how they work? Pretty strange. Strange is good.
Strange in deed. I cant help but sit and watch these guys. The way they dig and bulldoze the earth out of the way is just so awesome, lol.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Goanna said:
Strange in deed. I cant help but sit and watch these guys. The way they dig and bulldoze the earth out of the way is just so awesome, lol.
Yea, they move like they are really thinking about it with intention. Like they have a plan. Strange critter. Be interesting to know how long you can keep them alive. Everything I've read has said "short lived". Personally, I haven't been able to keep them alive very long either. Thought it might be just their life cycle but I had one that had younguns. I couldn't figure out how to keep them alive to adulthood. Not even close. What's the deal?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're pretty high-stress, and I suspect they need a pretty good humidity gradient when growing up. This would nessesitate bigger cages with a high degree of environmental complexity for the babies than you'd normally give a invert that size. Just guessing, though. As far as I know, the only one who's ever successfully reared them is Dr. Fred Punzo who wrote a book on them.

Wade

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Post-molt has very little to do with a solifugid’s ability to climb glass. I’ve kept Eremobates that can climb glass at any time, although, this may vary from family to family. Larger bodied species, such as Rhagodes, probably have more trouble climbing vertical objects.

Alex S.