Handicapped scorpions

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 2 Emperor Scorpions that are sort of handicapped and doing well. The first one is about 4 inches or so and I got him at a reptile show for $5. He has the lower pincher part of one claw broken off and so he can't catch crickets as easily as one with two working claws. The second one was given to me for free from a PetCo. He had one whole claw and its appendage fall off one day. They said people kept complaining about him being sold missing a claw, so they had him in their cricket room in the smallest cricket keeper sold. He is near full sized, but has a lot of trouble catching food. I saw him try to catch a cricket I dropped in front of him and all he got was a clawfull of substrate. The next day I found a cricket drowned in the waterdish and decided to see if I he would take it from my fingers. He did, and ever since then I've been hand feeding him every couple days. He is getting fuller ,and often out in the open walking around. The smaller Emp has also taken crickets from me, so now I hand feed both of them. Its really neat! I find myself enjoying these guys more this way. Since I keep a lot of crickets around (I have 4 scorpions, and 31 tarantulas to feed), I find some on their backs molting. These are real easy to feed to these guys, but they have
also taken live and kicking ones as well. I haven't attempted to feed my flatrock or desert hairy this way, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Just wondered if anyone else has ever done this with their scorpions.

Sharon

Ark

Arachnopeon
hi
i dont have a genus which i could handfeed, well i could but..better not :)
anyway its very kind of you giving them 2 a better home and feeding them.

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, really cool to buy handicapped scorpions just to make sure they'll survive :clap:

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been going through a similar situation with one of my emp babies. During its molt, its legs got stuck in the exuvium and hardened that way. I could not do anything since it happened when i was asleep. Now i have to hand feed the lil guy and hope for the best and wait till the next molt. Good luck with your scorps.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a C. gracilis missing its telson. Last molt it got stuck, and when I *extremely carefully* tried to get it out of the molt, it lost its telson :-(

It still has a part of the old molt around a part of it's tail, but seems to do very fine otherwise.

Last edited:

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one of my C. Margaritatus don't have 2 legs and matasome (?tail) is sort of damaged. Feed well as all the rest, but I'm not sure will it molt...

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
good job caring for the unfortunate scorps cricket54 it's always good to know there are people who care like u do :clap: :worship:

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I just wondered if anyone has done this too. I hadn't really wanted the Emperor, was looking for other scorps. but the first little one looked like he was well fed. He was also kept in a delidish so it was easier for him to catch food. I have these 2 in a 10 gal. tank with the substrate, heat lamp, and gravel underneath with tubes to pour the water down like that suggested on the sticky so I know the conditions are right. I just find I enjoy them more now that they will take the crickets from my fingers. Course, Emps. don't sting their prey much, but my desert hairy does so he could get my finger as he tries to sting the cricket. So I haven't tried this with him. The secomnd emperor with only one claw is actually looking plumper now.
They are both getting along great together, but the little one tried to bully
the bigger one when they were first together. My husband now thinks I'm going to be picking up handicapped scorpions from all over now.