striped knee or zebra?

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i keep getting ppl arguing this is a striped knee or a zebra, or they're just different names for the same tarantula?

Attachments

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
still looking

would anyone have a baby our young giant whiteknee by any chance? i think its scientific name is supposed to be Acanthoscurria geniculata or something. how big does these grow up to?

ScorpZion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ummmmm

the pic isnt the best to id but to me it does not look like a genic, other than that i dont know

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Stripe(d) knee and zebra tarantula are two of the common names regularly encountered in pet stores for Aphonopelma seemanni, which that picture might be of, but with that blurriness there's a whole bunch of other possibilities. What I can say about the pic is that you definitely do not have Acanthoscurria geniculata which if I read your post right is what you are suspecting, or are you asking if anyone has A. geniculata slings? If that's the question I know most dealers usually have this species at reasonable prices. They are a very hardy species, great eaters, fast growers and get between 6"-8".

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
blurry

i'm sorry about the blurriness, i'll try to get a clearer picture. but i don't have a camera, i only have a camera phone. so excuse the bluriness plz.

reading back, i couldn't even understand what i was saying.
i was actually asking 2 different questions. sorry!

1). was the spider in the picture a striped knee or a zebra?

from what i'm guessing, its probably the same spider with different names. but i want to make sure just incase so i can give it the right enclosure.

2). would anyone happen to have a giant whiteknee spiderling (Acanthoscurria geniculata), at least a young one.

from what i could find from dealers, they're always full grown adults. which i don't think would last very long. i am thinking of a birdeater, but i don't think i'm ready for one that huge yet.

3) last but not least new to my additional question. how long does these striped knee, zebra, whiteknee or birdeater live? whats the proper enclosure for them?

now lets hope i don't make 2 many typos in this post to confuse the world out of everyone.

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One thing for sure , that's not A.geniculata . It looks like a A.seemanni to me , how big is it?
As for the lifespan , it depends on how often you feed the T(feeding rate) . You can make it grow faster if you powerfeed it , it'll also shorten the lifespan at the same time.

Last edited:

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemani-a.k.a. Costa Rican Zebra, Lifespan depends on you. This species generally loves to burrow, I use 100% peat moss, about 4" to 5" inches deep, and my girl loves it(the deeper the better). I usually overflow the waterbowl when filling it up, other than that dry substrate. From my experience of the two that I have owned they both incorporated their hide to start their burrows, I haven't seen one just start digging a tunnel as most burrowers do. Mine just go in their hides and dig all the way to the bottom of the tank and just make a big hole, kinda like a cave.
<EDIT> It looks like you have her on bark......definatly need to remove that. Maybe use it to decorate a bit, but not good as primary substrate.

Here is a pic of mine, does she look like this?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
almost same

my stripe knee looks almost exactly like that, except its brown with a smaller abdomen.

actualy i switched it to a new tank now, no time to take pictures now. but still my T isn't burrowing. do u have to give it a rock or something to get it started? or will it start burrowing on its own, i got plenty of free space.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spider will dig its own burrow..

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kazuki said:
actualy i switched it to a new tank now, no time to take pictures now. but still my T isn't burrowing. do u have to give it a rock or something to get it started? or will it start burrowing on its own, i got plenty of free space.
Have you changed the substrate to peat or the like? If so as Mike said it will burrow on its own, but go ahead and put half a flower pot in the tank, or something similar to that(not a rock). This usually encourages the T to start digging. ;)

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
subtrate

right now i have an inch of gravel at the bottom, and potting soil for about 2-3 inches, and a very think layer of the original coconut barks. i heard this maintains humidity. oh n i even got a live plant inside too, i heard this helps with humidity as well. my T has been in the tank for about 3 days now, but still haven't start burrowing. all my T does is hide behind the plant.

come to think of it, i still dunno thats a he or she, i'll need u guys to help me sex it later too. the petshop i got it from, the workers either is not advance enough to tell the difference, or they don't have the guts to find out.

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine usually starts a small burrow, about 1" (have to check with him on that) for his T in the corner/against the side of the tank and the T's he's done it for have started burrows in that spot. It allows for visibility of the T even when it's in it's burrow. This might be something you want to try. Example of how it might look:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=452307&postcount=20

Good luck!

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that burrow is a good idea. im planning on getting a burrower someday when i get the hang of this hobby maybe a zebra. i just bought a chilean rose hair(my ist t). hope i take good care of it. i'll get a new t as soon as i feel that im ready and capable of taking good care of it.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yesterday i bought a seemani...they are great looking T...but u have to like the afct that are burrowers...i like this fact...becouse like m B.vagans do..it retret there and then when she comes out usly after a moult or two she is complitly changed...til now my seemani just ate a giant mealworm and standed on a bark....

Aaron

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sex this

ok, i've got some new pictures of my tarantula using my camera phone. some new pics of enclosure too... i know its fuzzy, i can't help it. is anyone able to tell me the sex of this tarantula?

Attachments

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kazuki said:
would anyone have a baby our young giant whiteknee by any chance? i think its scientific name is supposed to be Acanthoscurria geniculata or something. how big does these grow up to?

If your still looking for the A. geniculata you could try Chris at crazy 8's invertebrates. I'm pretty sure he could help you out.

MORBIUS

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just type in Krazy8'sInvertebrates.com That should take you to it. Or go to the members list on this site and look up mr. ocho. I think he has a link to his site.

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kazuki the sex can only be detirmed by a shed skin unless of course its a mature male in which case the ends of the pedipalps would be swollen like he was wearing boxing gloves. When he sheds try and save the skin, there are lots of web sites around that can guide you thro how to tell the sex.
And for the record I think its seemanni I used to have one, very skitty but very pretty :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Imegnixs_Cinder said:
Kazuki the sex can only be detirmed by a shed skin unless of course its a mature male in which case the ends of the pedipalps would be swollen like he was wearing boxing gloves. When he sheds try and save the skin, there are lots of web sites around that can guide you thro how to tell the sex.
And for the record I think its seemanni I used to have one, very skitty but very pretty :)
actually... you can sex a living tarantula from a ventral (underside) view... but it is even more difficult that sexing from a shed.

there is a region of specialized hairs by the epigastric furrow called something fusilae... basically boys have buzz-cut pubic hair =P

there was a quite interesting thread with very helpful links not too long ago...

i'll see if i can find it sometime today(ish)