Sterilite storage.

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
So I know I am new to this whole turantula thing (3 days), but I have been planning for the future.

I was browsing my local target today and I came across these plastic drawer carts: Here

These seem terribly convenient and space efficient (though may or may not be price efficient). Ample room for any medium to mid-large size terrestrial or arboreal. The one thing I worried about was whether the space left in between the drawer and the ceiling was enough to escape. After a carefull examination of these spaces they ranged from 0 to at most 2 mm, which I doubt (but open to rebuke) that a mature T could fit through (we have to face it, Ts are a little hefty in the gluteus area =). If I tarantula were to open this and escape it would have to move all the weight of the container, substrate, bowls, hides, rocks, etc... I'm sure one could attatched a simple velcro latch of some sort to take extra procaution. Does anyone have any experience with plastic drawer storage containers as habitats?

The only problem that may arise is if an arboreal spins it's web at the top so that when the cage was opened it would break the T's home. This is going to go off topic for a bit, but actually all I have seen in person were Avics that built their webs in the top corners of cages that were top opening. Is this normal? It seems that they should be housed differently, so that the web doesn't break when you feed them.

Me,
Charnoble

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i have eyed those too a few times...if the opening at the top is as small as you say it is (i haven't examined them very close) then no, they shouldn't be able to escape.

The one problem I immediately see with them, and the main reason I've shyed away, is that every time you need to feed or water them or whatever, you will need to slide the drawer open. I try to disturb my T's as little as possible when I'm feeding them or watering and since T's are highly sensitive to vibrations, the sliding of the drawer will undoubtedly startle them and, depending on the individual temperament, could make them immediately defensive or send them scurrying around the tank in a frenzy. That's the reason i've avoided them and instead settled for kritter keepers or plastic jars with screw on lids (the ones I have seem to be very quiet when being opened as none of the Avics react much).

Also, as you mentioned this could be bad if an arboreal has built it's web at the top which is fairly common.

oh and btw...it's "tarantula" :)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does the bottom of one drawer serve as the ceiling of the one below it? If so, then when you open the top drawer it would leave an opening for the spider underneath it.

Regular rubbermaid / sterlite would probably be best.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I used the sterlite containers that had the snap on lids.They are easy to use but I would not recommend them for arboreals. You can get a 5 pack for under $5.00
Here's my sterlite enclosures:

You can use those plastic jars that walmart sells with the white screw on lids. Poke a bunch of holes in that puppy and you should be all set. These cost like a $1.00 a peice.

I dont have a pic of one of any of my old setups with that method.

For arboreals I tend to use my 10 Gallon All-Glass critter cage with a sliding lid. I sent the cage on it's side so that the door slides left or right. More expensive alternative to plastic though.
Here's my arboreal setup using the glass cages:

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
lol, I can't believe I spelled tarantula wrong. the "a" on the keyboard is kindof by the "u" *shifty eyes*. Hey I have other posts where I spell it right! Check for yourself!

Anyway, no, I don't believe the bottom of the containers serve as a top for the ones below it. I'm 95% sure of that.

yeah, the sliding thing might disturb some, but aren't we supposed to periodically shake the spiders containers anyway? Like put them in a dryer? Jk. Still, I see in peoples spider rooms they have the plastic totes stacked one on top of another. The sliding couldn't be worse than moving 5 spiders just to get to the one stacked on the bottom. And opening some of those critter keeper lids is the devil without shaking them (though I haven't had a critter keeper in a while). Maybe I just suck at opening things.

Me,
Charnoble

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
Nice arboreal cage. Will the arboreal naturally web in the log you put in there? because wouldn't the same problem apply to the top front corner where the top and the sliding screen meet? If the avic will just web in a log then the drawers may still be a viable option, no?

Me,
Charnoble

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
She used to web on the screen lid.....I pi**ed her off too many times and she now lives in the hide on the right side.

Last edited:

David Richards

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sterilite drawers

I can tell you for sure that the drawers are a nightmare unless it is a full grown birdeater of some sort. Anything 5 inches and down will get between the box and the drawer over and over again, and it is frustrating. I would say don't use them but that is just my opinion, i will be using mine for the kids toys! I really like the sterlite "showoffs". They stack and are pretty decent sized for arboreals and terrestrials. Check them out. The classic sterilites are always a good choice also. dave

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
ChrisNCT said:
He used to web there.....I pi**ed her off too many times and she now lives in the hide on the right side.
Ha, your T changed sexes during the sentence. I'm new to T's, can they do that?

jk. I know they can't . . .but can they?!. . . just kidding, or am I?

Me,
Charnoble

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards Charnoble...i like your sense of humor :D

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards, Charnoble :clap: . I definitely would not use the sliders. I too use the snap-on Sterilite for some of my terrestials and I use the plastic jars with the white tops for my aboreals - pokies and avics. Ts are great escape artists. Make sure they are secure for the safety of the T and for your sake - especially if you are dealing with the more defensive species. I prefer the Kritter Keepers for all but the aboreals. Good luck with your future Ts. It is a great hobby and there are super people here on the boards.

odinn7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have some of those that we use to keep my daughters toys in. Inside the unit it is sectioned off between each drawer but there is plenty of space inside between the top of the drawer and the "ceiling" above it. I can almost guarantee that it won't work for you and you'll have escapes left and right.