The least desireable species...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
There has been lots of talk about spiecies folks want to have/own. But what species would you NOT want to have just because they have some attribute you don't like? (Just name the bottom one, to make it simpler. Because obviously one can't have EVEYR T on the planet and will thus have to prioritize when buying T's)

Iv'e heard of people selling their blondi's because they got sprayed far too often and had a very hard time with it. That would be one kind of an example of a motivation.

My own is this (and it might come as a little shock to you folks, and I can understnad it):
At this point in time I'd NOT want to have a Nhandu chromatus. It just looks too spooky! I find it extremely ugly in one way, extremely intreaguing and fascinating in another though! That bright carpace is just freaking me out and I don't know why! For some reason I feel an internal shiver when I look at that T. But sure as "down below" I'll have to have one in time :D ... again: "in time!" For now though the freaky factor has me completely in it's grip. ;)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't like G.rosea. They are boring and should be culled from the hobby.;)

I do like N.chromatus.

Last edited:

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to say that Rosehairs are probably the least appealing to me....alot of the NA T's don't do anything for me either. I just don't like brown spiders I guess lol.

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm put off by any T's with significant venom. I really don't like the idea of having a bad reaction to a bite. I try my best to avoid getting bit, and I havn't been bit yet, but accidents happen, and I feel the only way eliminate the possibility of getting bit by a T with significant venom all together is by not getting one....no matter how pretty they are. However, we do have an OBT....it's my boyfriend's really...he can feed and clean that one's cage :D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pinning it down to one species would be impossible, but I'd say the group I have the least interest in are the old world obligate burrowers such as the Haplopelma.

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that I'll be on everyones hatelist for this but I don't like OBTs. :eek: I have 2, one I never see but when she does come out she is nuts :evil: . The other is a visible crazy. Just not my cup of tea. They are beautiful though!

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm least interested in the G. rosea. I don't want to deal with blondi hairs, so I'll probably never get a T from that genus either. I'll stick to Pamphobeteus species, and those hairs are among the worst I've experienced!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
greenbay1 said:
I know that I'll be on everyones hatelist for this but I don't like OBTs. :eek: I have 2, one I never see but when she does come out she is nuts :evil: . The other is a visible crazy. Just not my cup of tea. They are beautiful though!
Not on my hatelist. :) I find P. murinus to be too predictable and because of that, I don't find them interesting. G. rosea however can be nuts in a different way. I've been "slapped" on the hands too many times to count and it's kinda freaky in a "what just happened" sort of way. However I do have a dwarf male P. murinus (orange color form) which can be a funny little man. :p

My favorites though are those from the New World. A lot of them are really large, colorful, and vary in temperament. Nonetheless, there is no other region in the world where tarantula evolution couldn't make up its mind where the best placement of urticating setae should be. {D

- Lonnie

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
and one more vote for G. Rosea ... I could get one for some $ and I refused, I just dont want a g rosea, as the other said I probably just dont like a rock in my vivarium ...
i'll have one one day but not now

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
One that hasn't done a lot for me is B. albopilosum. It's okay, I guess, but not something that I would replace when it's gone.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most new world T's. Least desired genus of all though, Aphonopelma. In case anyone wasn't aware, I like African Thera's almost exclusively.

Gary

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Most OW'ers don't do much for me, partticularly the burrowing species, such as Haplopelma's.

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any pet hole species!!! When I read about some of you seeing your H. lividum, or C. crawshayi once or twice a year, I don't want one. :( It is a shame, because some of these are truly beautiful species. :drool: I don't really care how venomous/defensive my spiders are, but since I can't have a huge collection I stick to the ones I can expect to see fairly often. I do have an OBT, and although it hides more than my other spiders I see it often enough. The OBT is IMO the best of the old world species to keep.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
P. murinus does nothing for me. And I'm not big on burrowers.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Least desirable to me is probably T. blondi. I'm pretty allergic to my B. smithi, I can't imagine how badly blondi hairs would tear me up. Also... big brown spider, so not interesting.

On the other hand, I love both my rosehairs and all of my evil pet holes. I'm weird. ;P

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Vote!

Personally I have alot of favourites as well as many that I most likely will not get (unless I get talked into it.... Martin :) ) I am one of the people that like color oriented tarantulas. Therefore plain colors like on T. blondi dont appeal to me much. I am not saying I will never get a T.blondi, I just wont be running out to get one. Also I like medium to large tarantulas, so I dont see me getting any dwarfs soon like Cyriocosmus (sorry Martin :( )

Maybe once I run out of the "Gotta have it List" I will purchase some of the smaller colorful T's first and then move on to the plain coloured T's as in the T. blondi, C. huahini, and N. vulpinus