Blue Phase A. seemani?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I picked this A. seemani up last week with the hopes of it being male (not matured). I rehoused it tonight and was able to get a few pictures. It looks to me like it may be the "blue phase." My other A. seemani has never shown any bit of blue at all.

What do you think?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks a lot like the black female that I have. Sometimes she shows a bit of blue, usually right after a molt. Don't know if that would be considered "blue" phase though. Nice T, in any case. They're great looking when you get to see them. :)

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey realy nice...i have one but havent that colour..what size is ur T becca?

Aaron

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I haven't actually measured it yet, but I estimate that it's around 4.5".

I have a female that recently molted who shows absolutely no blue, so it may just vary a little.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so becca are you saying that the 'blue phase' doent always come out or that it can come out at evry stage after thT had reached certain size?...thanks

Aaron

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
aaronrefalo said:
so becca are you saying that the 'blue phase' doent always come out or that it can come out at evry stage after thT had reached certain size?...thanks

Aaron
I don't know. :)

All I can say is that my female A. seemani (~5") is not showing any signs of blue.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
wasnt the A. seemani "blue phase" thought to be some sort of Acanthoscurria specie?? i could have sworn i read that somewhere, unless im thinking of another T all togehter.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
shogun804 said:
wasnt the A. seemani "blue phase" thought to be some sort of Acanthoscurria specie?? i could have sworn i read that somewhere, unless im thinking of another T all togehter.
Yes, but there are supposedly two seperate species - the "blue phase" and A. borealis.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know if I've ever seen a blue phase A. seemanni in person so I may be completely wrong with this idea. Is it possible that, like some other animals like the common grackle (bird) or other Ts with iridescent colors, the blue is just the way the light plays off the T? Like I said in my above post, my female is very dark, especially after a molt, and in the right light shows some blue coloration. Any ideas?

Again, never seen a blue phase that I know of so I could be way off.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nice blue phase heering80...some days ago i phtographed my seemani....and i noticed a blue tint which on the photos appears as well...later on i will post some pic....bdw yesterday i rehouse my seemani in a burrowing tank..approx 15cm peat....hopefully it will burrow

Aaron

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our little A.Seemani just molted a few days ago and she has a blue colour to her now so here's hoping. I'm thinking that like with the G.Rosea where you'll find the odd red colour form...the A.Seemani has ones that have a blue colour to them...they are very pretty. I could be wrong but I have seen A.Seemani's that are blue in colour.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
a question on temperament of seemani...mine is very very agressive...how is yours?....size is 3.5"

Aaron

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
aaronrefalo said:
a question on temperament of seemani...mine is very very agressive...how is yours?....size is 3.5"

Aaron
The one in the picture has been very skittish and defensive. My other one, however, is a little nervous but has never shown any signs of being overly defensive.

Scolopendra

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine is extremely skittish and defensive, about 3.5" legspan. strikes or runs at every move i make. any tips on how to encourage burrowing? maybe that will calm him/her down...

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Scolopendra said:
mine is extremely skittish and defensive, about 3.5" legspan. strikes or runs at every move i make. any tips on how to encourage burrowing? maybe that will calm him/her down...
Starting a burrow sometimes helps. When I do start burrows, I usually try to do some in a corner and then cover that area with black construction paper or cardboard so that I'll be able to see it on occasion.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so this is an NW species?....my seemani begin burrowing after i rehosed it that same night...evry night the burrow becomes larger....as i see more peat in the surface,,,,to trigger them to burrow i make a sort of cave construction with stones and peat to seal the remaining spaces..

Aaron