P.spinifer, My new T

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pick up this good looker yesterday, for a mere $18.00.
The bonehead petshop called it a Feather legged baboon.
Its common name is Stout leg baboon. Its from East Africa and has some pretty cool looking hind legs. Its not a big burrower, but somewhat of a webber.
Anybody here keep this T? If so can you give me your take on it?
IE. How you house it, ect.

Ernie

Attachments

Bridget

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow...that's an awesome looking T. It's stout legs really are stunning. We don't have one, but maybe we should get one (nudges Rick). Sorry I cant be more helpful:8o

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Between the thick hair, and the contrasting black area around the eyes.. that is probably the meanest looking tarantula I've ever seen. However, I must say.. it looks beautiful, ernie.

Bill

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eucratoscelus longiceps

Hi Ernie, actually what you have is a Voi Baboon (Eucratoscelus longiceps). The name Featherleg Baboon is not a correct common name, although used quite frequently with this species, because of the thickened hind legs, but actually belongs to S. calceata.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Eucratoscelus longiceps

Originally posted by Swifty
Hi Ernie, actually what you have is a Voi Baboon (Eucratoscelus longiceps). The name Featherleg Baboon is not a correct common name, although used quite frequently with this species, because of the thickened hind legs, but actually belongs to S. calceata.
Thank you Kelly,
The more I think I know, the more I realize. I don't know as much as I think. This is a confusing hobby.;)

Ernie

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Eucratoscelus longiceps

Originally posted by MrT
Thank you Kelly,
The more I think I know, the more I realize. I don't know as much as I think. This is a confusing hobby.;)

Ernie
Your right Ernie, I've been into these animals long before it was a hobby, but I learn new things all the time. I hope I didn't come across as arrogant, because I didn't mean it that way. Nice looking specimen by the way!

Swifty

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Eucratoscelus longiceps

Originally posted by Swifty
Your right Ernie, I've been into these animals long before it was a hobby, but I learn new things all the time. I hope I didn't come across as arrogant, because I didn't mean it that way. Nice looking specimen by the way!

Swifty
Not at all Kelly,
I learn something new every day on this site, and I love it.
Thanks again for your help.:)

Ernie

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was going to get one of those!! at LLLreptile..they are so neat!! beautiful!! :D I have heard people say they are docile and others say they are the meanest spiders..It varies.. of course, between each individual specimen.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is awesome! I think I want one. I was thinking about getting a horned baboon of somesort to replace my late Usambara, but this just might to the trick!

Beautiful!

Jon

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Swifty,

what makes you sure that it is Eucratoscelus longiceps and not for example Eucratoscelus pachypus? How can one tell E. longiceps apart from E. pachypus only seeing a photo? Are there some significant/definite signs?
No offence, just wondering.

all the best,
Martin

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some say they're synonymous... I've seen two distinct color morphs -- one's more brownish, the other is a little more greyish with an almost 'slate green' sort of tinge and lighter hairs on the ceph. Eucratoscelus pachypus is smaller.

Either way, it's a tough call.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

I just found mentioned in a book, that the main differences between E. longiceps and E. pachypus is, that E. longiceps has a swollen Tibia on leg IV while E. pachypus has a swollen Tibia AND a swollen Meatatarsus (Basitarsus in English?) on leg IV. They also say that E. pachypus is a little bit smaller and the colours of both species are almost similar.

all the best,
Martin

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, looks so cool. I wish they were kind -hearted little things ..

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While the confusion abounds, I'll also mention that re: Gallon's revision last year E. longiceps is now E. constrictus. African Red Rump is another name I've seen attached to them, I bought mine under that tag.

Adrian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by belewfripp
While the confusion abounds, I'll also mention that re: Gallon's revision last year E. longiceps is now E. constrictus. African Red Rump is another name I've seen attached to them, I bought mine under that tag.

Adrian
Adrian,
Can you post a pic. of yours please.

Ernie

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats a nice T...i especially like the legs...its got this "bodybuilder" type thing going...like a T with huge biceps...

solid.

-e-