In what FORM is food stored in a T's abdomen?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Yep, that's what I'm wondering this time!

I can't believe it's something like fat or similar. And I can't believe it's something rather solid. Instead I believe it is some magic liquid which contains a mix of all the goodies the T has sucked out of any prey item.

But are any specifics known?
And also - Can a T that has a big abdomen be dehydrated because the water to solid food ratio in it's abdomen is too great towards the solid side? (If you get my meaning...)

Cirith

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I can't believe it's something like fat or similar.
Believe it. Inverts and us store things the same, old, boring way: fat bodies.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Allright! That's funny! :D At least something we have in common!

Thanks!

The second question, anyone?

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Believe it. Inverts and us store things the same, old, boring way: fat bodies.
I'm not doubting what you say cos i know your the man when it comes to this kind of thing, but I thought I'd read somewhere that Ts don't eat fat, and leave little balls of it as bolus. Is that only when they eat vertebrates? or did i imagine it?

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im sure he meant, they STORE them as fatty acids...like at a molecular level AFTER it has digested all of wahtever it ate, meat, invert, vert, worm wahtever...

and use the fat as fuel source.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I wouldn't think there is a way for a T to determin or chose what she eats besides anything that mechanically obstructs the mouth, meaning the shell of a bug. Once the saliva/poison do their thing everything soft enough is melted into one single type of goo, I imagine. Thus the T has no way of chosing what to slurp up and what not. Besides, fat is obviously universally a very good carrier of energy, so why waste it?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would assume that they don't eat *certain kinds* of fat. All inverts store energy as fat, it would make little sense if the greatest source of energy in the prey was discarded. If they're having issues with vertebrate fat, it's probably because of the particular form of fatty acid it's stored, not that it's a fat to begin with.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Yep, that's what I'm wondering this time!

I can't believe it's something like fat or similar. And I can't believe it's something rather solid. Instead I believe it is some magic liquid which contains a mix of all the goodies the T has sucked out of any prey item.

But are any specifics known?
And also - Can a T that has a big abdomen be dehydrated because the water to solid food ratio in it's abdomen is too great towards the solid side? (If you get my meaning...)

Cirith
I belive it´s fat. CHEERS!!!///Johan

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, something to consider

tarantulas can only ingest liquids. they have a very cool micro-filtration setup in their mouth. i think i read it filters on the order of microns!

so they can't eat bits of shell, no matter how much they chew it, unless they can almost literally atomize it. anything eaten has to either be a liquid originally or be soluble in their saliva and other eating fluids