Does a telson grow back?

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The 5th of June my C. gracilis molted, but had problems. A few days later I tried carefully to remove the exuviae, since it got stuck at the end of the tail. I didn't manage to remove it all, but managed to break off its telson (aargh).

A small piece stayed stuck on the tail, and I was afraid it would cause problems.

But the scorpion didn't show any signs of dying, and yesterday I found another exuviae, and it looks better. However, no telson.

I am wondering: does a telson grow back? (I was hoping it would be back with this molt, which I expected next week).

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
I Havnt heard any stories of WHOLE telsons growing back
i doubt this can happen as it is quite a complex organ co,pared to appendages i THINK

but i have experienced; as have others the ends of legs or claws or the aculeus itself regrowing after several moults

it took my T.paraensis 2nd instar 3 moults to regrow all of his totally missing lower pincer finger.

good luck to your scorpion :)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems to do ok, so I have no real worries, other that I feel still a bit guilty about the accident :-( On the other hand, without help it would probably have had more problems.

This molt went perfectly, so no idea what went wrong with the other.