Found a spider

jd_starcat

Arachnopeon
I caught myself a little house spider last night, unfortunately I don't have anything to take pics with. I have no idea where the digital camera is so I can install it.

I've got it in a tupperware container with some air holes poked in it. I tossed in a couple small bugs, but I'm not really sure what I should do with it. I've never had a spider before. I doubt I'll keep it very long. I'll prolly take it outside and let it go eventually. I feel sorry for wild creatures that get trapped or locked up somewhere.

If I find the camera before I let the spider go, I'll try to take some pics so we can figure out what kind of spider it is.

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to keep a house spider in a pint glass on my kitchen window sill. He was doing really well, had a couple of molts and was making webs etc. Then I went to throw a teaspoon into the sink and missed, it hit his glass and the spider and lots of bits of broken glass went into full sink of water and that was the end of him!
He should do pretty ok in captivity, just try and feed him the same sorts of things he would be eating in the wild anyway :)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jd_starcat said:
II feel sorry for wild creatures that get trapped or locked up somewhere.
I think you're on the wrong forum then! ;)

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice to see you took my advice :} I collected huntsman spiders here at work long before I got into collecting T's. Taking baby steps is many times the best way to overcome a fear. I would further suggest to take those pics, find out what kinda critter you have, then do as much research you can to take care of it. That should head you in the right direction in deciding if or what kinda T you might want. The best of luck to you, and lets see those pics!!! :)

jd_starcat

Arachnopeon
I think theres a difference between something thats raised in captivity and something you just go out and snatch out of its natural habitat.

This spider has lost some legs. Its only got 6, but its definately a spider. I still have no idea what kind it is. Its kind of a brownish color. The arrangement of the eyes makes me think its a recluse. Which means I definately won't be keeping it. I'd rather not take chances with something that might be even slightly dangerous around my kid.

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jd_starcat said:
I think theres a difference between something thats raised in captivity and something you just go out and snatch out of its natural habitat.

This spider has lost some legs. Its only got 6, but its definately a spider. I still have no idea what kind it is. Its kind of a brownish color. The arrangement of the eyes makes me think its a recluse. Which means I definately won't be keeping it. I'd rather not take chances with something that might be even slightly dangerous around my kid.

I can understand that, better to be on the safe side. Keep in mind alot of the T's dealers sell are wild caught as well.