Molting question-HELP!!

Arachnoheebs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a ?? y/o confirmed mature female Brachypelma bicoloratum. She STARTED to molt this AM about 6:50 AM (CST) and thus far, the only change has been her abdomen has about 4-5 wrinkles in it. (Her husband died about a month ago of old age) I have had her for about 2 months and she's a fiesty BIG girl (6") You just look at her and she kicks hairs. To see her upside down and not moving is making me a wreck!!!!! How long is this going to take?? I have a 8" Lasiodora parahybana flipped over and was done in 1-1/2 hours. Any suggestions?? My other mature Brachypelma's smithi, emilia, boehmi (same size?age) have never taken this long. Is she ok/any suggestions?
Thanks for any info....
Freaked out Arachnoheeb1 (Keri) :confused:
neulingk@yahoo.com

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She is probably fine. It isn't unusual that the molts take a little longer in older specimans. I wouldn't begin to worry until after 18 hours or so. Even then, I might take a wait and see approach unless I could see that she was actually stuck in the old shed.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just make sure it's nice and humid and leave the rest to nature.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bigboy said:
Just make sure it's nice and humid and leave the rest to nature.
Rasing humidity during a molt is not really necessary. If it is extremely dry, then it may help a little. However, the important aspect of molting is how well hydrated the tarantula is before the molt. If they are dehydrated, then they will more than likely encounter problems with the molt. Ambient humidity levels do not play a huge role in the molt process.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The larger the T, the longer the molt. My blondi was on her back for 24 hours before she even started. Once the carapace pops, the process should speed up dramatically. There is only one thing we need to deal with EVERY thing that EVERY species of tarantula does... patience!