P.liosoma

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Just want to show the difference in size between two adult females P.liosoma from Tanzania (5cm/2in) and Egypt (9cm/3,6in).
Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm probably about to show what a complete novice I am, but thanks for posting that - I had no idea there could be such a marked size difference in the same species from different locations :)

Although given the differences in conditions, genetics etc. I suppose it should be obvious...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very interesting!!!! I must have the Tanzanian species. The Egytian looks alsmost as large as P mossambicensis or P transvaalicus.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
The Egytian looks alsmost as large as P mossambicensis or P transvaalicus.
Yes this female liosoma is as big as my bigger females mossambicensis.

OneSickPuppy said:
is there any others known from both locations for comparison?
I'm sorry but I don't understand your question :8o

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eric, Can that happen with centruroides as well? I have 3 little C Margaritatus that are almost adult and are over a year old. but they are really small about 1 3/4 inches chelicerae to aculeus. Could they be from a population That was overpopulated? Thanks
Darrell.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Darrell, I have noticed that when collecting C vittatus that some areas seem to have bigger specimens than other areas. I have no idea on why this is though

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Darell,
As far as I know, small specimens are not rares in C.gracilis or C.margaritatus (an surely other Centruroides spp ?) broods.
I've got several times very small adults of both species, whereas their brothers/sisters have a normal size. For example last year I've got some adult (they mated) margaritatus...of 3cm (1,2in) ! The mother (wild caught) was however very big (about 9cm/3,6in). Currently I have also some very small adult gracilis (4cm/1,6 max), and some big specimens (8cm/3,2in) from the same brood.
Don't know why.........

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I have a tiny adult male C. gracilis, only about 1/3 the size of its siblings. Perhaps scorpion litters also have runts? :confused:

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wonder if thats the same for Androctonus there pretty wide spread as well :?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OneSickPuppy said:
is this thue of all of them or just in your 2 scorpions?
Ok sorry.
Egyptian liosoma seem to be quite big (I had 5-6 specimens and they were all very big), and Tanzanian seem to be smaller (I've got about 10 specimens until now and they were all quite small). However, size vary a lot in Parabuthus spp, even in specimens of the same brood.
Cheers

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ThatGuy said:
I wonder if thats the same for Androctonus there pretty wide spread as well :?
Don't know, but the australis I had, from Morocco, Algeria or Israël, had about the same size. The amoreuxi from Israël seem to be smaller than the Egyptian one, and the bicolor from Middle East seem to be also smaller than North African one.