spiders, in my garden

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
those are very nice pictures :)

i like the top one a lot, it is very clear... i imagine someone could probably at least tell family from the eye arrangement if they are on a better computer than me (laptop makes things fuzzy)

thanks for posting :)

i think that those spiders are interesting. i keep an American cousin in captivity. I think she just molted to ultimate female (true spider =P ) and she has a legspan of about 2" (5 cm). she kill kill and partially eat 1-1.25" (2.5-er,call it 3cm) crickets, but she looks silly fat for a while after {D

I have to find my little Golden Spiders of North America but i think mine is Agenelid or Tegenaria family, maybe yours might be too (i have no idea about British true spiders though)

Last edited:

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have no idea what they are called, i know their house spiders though {D (i think) i wish that in britain we got amazing spiders like widows and T's, unfortunatley the biggest spider i have seen wild in this country was about 2" :( owell maybe someday :rolleyes:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
I have to find my little Golden Spiders of North America but i think mine is Agenelid or Tegenaria family, maybe yours might be too (i have no idea about British true spiders though)
Yes, I think it is Tagenaria specie. In Poland most common are T. atrica and T. domestica. I know that in GB you've got also T. gigantea.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
Don't worry, nobody will use pics only to ID spider to specie. If you want to be sure, You will need a good microscope, dead spider and it's reproductive organs ;)

Here is my thread about T. atrica:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=39153

yeah, family is usually/somtimes easy cuz of eye arrangement...

sometimes genus can be done "at home" but usually for species the only time i'll take a guess is when there is only one known in the area... and even then, all that means is there is only one *known* in the area ;)

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im sure part of the Tagenaria sp. but i'm not 100% sure, i did a zoom on it (the original) it was really fuzzy but i could just make out the eyes. now, just find the species :D this will probably take me a while,

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks :D i already think it's Tegenaria agrestis, but i am not sure :confused: i think the common name is hobo spider, are they dangerous? i've been researching on the internet and they say that it's dangerous, but i don't know :confused:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
thanks :D i already think it's Tegenaria agrestis, but i am not sure :confused: i think the common name is hobo spider, are they dangerous? i've been researching on the internet and they say that it's dangerous, but i don't know :confused:
T. agrestis is pretty well known to be slightly to moderately necrotoxic. i would check range data before leaping to conclusions...

...wait a minute... your British... argh, that keeps messing me up!

EDIT:

also, the agrestis DOES NOT mean agressive... it means something like farm or something, like agrarian

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
Although we do have T. agrestis in this country, the chances are you have T. duellica, T. domestica or T. saeva. T. gigantea has been placed in synonymy with T. duellica. In the UK T. agrestis is out competed by the other species in disturbed areas such as hourse and gardens, and hence only tends to be found in fields or woods away from humans. Thats the reason why we don't have the same problems with the hobo spider that they have in the US.