Messure ? length ?

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've looked in the noobie section and tried to "search" but still left me un answered
when a vendor says .5 inch sling does that mean eyes to butt or front leg to back leg in a relaxed position or did i miss it all together :)

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
most american dealers from what i know use legspan but im sure it is more of an estimation of size in most instances

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what sucks is i've read in a couple different places that some ppl measure body length when the slings are tiny and leg span when they get above around 1"... i wish i could remember where i read that though

if all else fails, the dealer should be happy to tell you if you ask them

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is typically how they are measured. Leg I to Leg IV on opposite side. Since this one is spread out (since it's a molt), I would probably say this is 4" - 4.25"

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Perfect display Becca. That is how I've always been told to measure.

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome thx
Great pic

any thoughts on what size is best to buy a sling as in when does the start to greately imrpove that they will survive just curious :)

u know what i mean like if at 1/8th in only 5 out of ten survive and
at 1/4th 7 outof ten survive when do 9 our of ten survive ? etc
hope thats clear ><

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Trance said:
Awesome thx
Great pic

any thoughts on what size is best to buy a sling as in when does the start to greately imrpove that they will survive just curious :)

u know what i mean like if at 1/8th in only 5 out of ten survive and
at 1/4th 7 outof ten survive when do 9 our of ten survive ? etc
hope thats clear ><
I am not sure that anyone will be able to give you any specific answers or percentages. However, the older/larger they are, the more likely they will be to survive. I would say that the chances of survival are pretty good once they hit about the 1" size though. For that matter, they do fairly well once they reach the 1/2" to 3/4" size too.

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thx:) i know its never certain but just thinking how small i should go

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Trance said:
Well, when they are very little they can be fairly cheap. So, you could always get a few and hedge your bets. Not likely all of them will die.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Trance said:
For your first sling, I recommend starting at about 1/2". 1/4" isn't too bad, but any smaller than that can be tough.

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This girl was only .25" when I got her as a freebie with some other spiders I ordered. That was a little over eight months ago. I love watching them grow up from extremely tiny to huge hairy monsters. :D This one is a G. aureostriata and they are fairly easy to raise. Some other species slings are known to be much more fragile/sensitive and may die for unknown reasons. Good luck with whatever you decide.