B. Atarum
B. Boehmei
B. Klassi
B. Smithi
C. Cyaneopubescens
E. Campestratus
G. Aureostriata

A. Versicolor arboreal, not sure about arboreal

after alot of going through galleries and trying to find pages on there disposition i worked it down to

A. Seemani Fairly Docile, ( not sure about fairly)
B. Auratum Docile, havent found much else
B. Smithi Docile, Calm but kicks hairs frequentally
E. Campestratus Docile but Skittish

I'm looking for a active non aggresive, likes or is indifferent to being held, maybe 6" on the high end for size, you know ..... a Sweet one {D

if any of this information is off plz let me know :)
i got all this info from the search function in the forum + websites i found through the forum

or if i removed any from my previous list u think i should look at again

i was hoping u all could enlighten me with some of your own experiances with these i know each is different but maybe theres a trend :}

also if anyone knows anyong in southern california that have any of these as slings i would prefer to go and pick one up then go through the mail

i think i know why some of u have so many ;P

Last edited:

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd go with the G. Aureostriata, Chacos are good looking, reach a nice size, are very calm and hardly ever flick hairs, well thats what mine is like :D

All the others can be a little skittish and some are murder for flicking hairs.

Why have you ruled out arboreals? I ask because Avics are some of the sweetest T's you can find......well some Avics :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nightbreed said:
I'd go with the G. Aureostriata, Chacos are good looking, reach a nice size, are very calm and hardly ever flick hairs, well thats what mine is like :D

All the others can be a little skittish and some are murder for flicking hairs.

Why have you ruled out arboreals? I ask because Avics are some of the sweetest T's you can find......well some Avics :D
That was going to be my recommendation as well.

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just seemed to me like arboreals would be a little more hassle to handle seeing as there faster and jump occasionally

i ruled out the G. Aureostriata cuase there a bit on the large side (7")? i was hoping to stick to 4.5-6" they are nice looking though :) darn it thought i was down to 4 choices :?
thx for the input :}

prettykill

Arachnopeon
I have two Smithi's that are absolute sweethearts. One of them kicks hairs at her waterdish whenever I fill it (don't ask me why :? ), but is as docile as it gets. I have never seen the other kick hairs at all, although it looks like she has quite an arsenal. Both are very handleable and will sit patiently on my hand when I want to take pictures of them (without hairkicking).
The Aureostriata, (Chaco) we have is pretty young, a sling still, but has been very docile and willing to feed, and shows every sign of growing into another sweetheart.
I think either species would be a great pet and one you would get a lot of enjoyment out of.
plhm

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Trance said:
just seemed to me like arboreals would be a little more hassle to handle seeing as there faster and jump occasionally

i ruled out the G. Aureostriata cuase there a bit on the large side (7")? i was hoping to stick to 4.5-6" they are nice looking though :) darn it thought i was down to 4 choices :?
thx for the input :}
I not sure if I an misinterpretting you, but G. aureostriata are not arboreal. They are terrestrials. If you want something a little smaller, have you considered a G. pulchra?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just so you know...
when writing the scientific names the genus is capitalized, the species is not.

Brachypelma smithi
Aphonopelma seemani

Last edited:

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
didnt spend much time on pulchra i'll go check them out

and the arboreal comment was to answer nightbreeds question :)

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
o ok sheri :)
sorry :}
thx for the name info

Last edited:

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I felt the same about arboreals at first, but you'd need a gun to take my Avics away I just love em :D
That said though it did give me a funny turn the first time my A,avic jumped, she lept a five inch gap onto my hand I thought I was going to have a heart attack {D

Chacos are pretty big, but their temperment is so good I feel they are hard to beat, mine is like a eight legged teddy bear, I've never even seen her flick hairs :D

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
If you want something a little smaller, have you considered a G. pulchra?
I would agree with Windchaser and consider the G. pulchra. Sharp looking T, easy care, and most are docile.
I definitely would not consider the A. seemani. :embarrassed: They are way too skittish and nervous. I think you would really enjoy the G. aureostriata. They are sweethearts and impressive. :)

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchra is an excelent recomendation. B. auratum (at least in my experience) would seem to be right along the lines of what you're looking for as well. Mine has never flicked at me in the (about) 18 months that I've had it. Very docile in nature and doesn't seem to mind being handled.

At the same time I feel compelled to say that every T is as much an individual as their owner, so what I have experienced may not hold true for you (doesn't have to be this way but there is a possibility). Best of luck with your choice! :D

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you find a B.klaasi they are fairly uncommon in the states so I would pick one up if u had the chance. Mine girl is 2.5" and shes never really kicked any hairs at all. Also this is a not so common spieces either but what about the Grammostola chalcothrix if avail.

Trance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thx guys good stuff
need to go search for some good klaasi pics :)

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm also reccomending G. aureostriata. Mine is as excitable and skittish as a pair of socks. The only time she kicked a hair at me was when in premolt, and it was a rather pathetic kicking of hair too. The slings also grow a bit faster than most other Grammostola species. :)

Trance said:
also if anyone knows anyong in southern california that have any of these as slings i would prefer to go and pick one up then go through the mail
http://www.scottstarantulas.com/

In CA, may be close to you. He's in the process of opening a store front. :)

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd also recommend G. aureostriata. Our Chaco is a very sweet natured spider. She eats well and has grown fairly quickly. Of the seven species we keep, she is by far the best for a beginner.

DanD

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nightbreed said:
Holy >self edit< :eek: thats for an adult female I hope.
Unfortunatly here in the states that's a pretty good deal for a female juvie. I've seen females of the same size listed for twice that. :eek:

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ouch.
Oh well I guess its all about supply and demand, and to tell the truth I've only seen slings for sale over here they were going for £15, so I dont really know how much they'd ask for an adult/juvie, all I know for sure is how much I'd be willing to pay ;)