another Heterometrus ID

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I saw this guy labled as an emperor and I honestly tried to not buy it. That didn't work so now im curious as to what exactly it is. Sex too.

Last edited:

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
just an opinion.. but it looks to me like a male Hetermetrus spiniferus.. also called "giant blue forest scorpion" or something to that affect

been looking into getting one.. i fall a little more in love with them everytime i see a pic.. so thank you thank you for making my day a little brighter

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:D no problem, I love taking pics. Especially of scorps.

That was my guess as well but im hoping someone will be able to say for sure. Isn't the longimanus the "giant blue"?

Well i was hoping for a hissing striking and generally nasty scorp but so far he's been pretty placid. Maybe he's yet to recover from the tramatic experience of being in a pet store. I'll keep em crossed...

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
20 bones
not too shabby considering only one place in town sells scorpions.
reason why i tried not to buy it was im going to be moving into an apartment that might freak out if they find out. My land lord might not be as cool as yours sickpuppy.

Last edited:

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the picture of the pectines is in such good quality that you could very easily count them to determine the sex.........

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
research smearsearch

ok I count 17 but im not sure where that puts it.
I know your out there G. Carnell!

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
i have always been under the impression that it was the length of the pectines rather than the number

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I would say H.laoticus. Regarding the sex, difficult to determine without any comparison (laoticus: 15-19 for both sexes), so in this case you're right ScorpDemon, lenght of teeths and pectines is more important than number of teeths, and other specimen would be useful to compare.
Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Don't know, I never heard mine hissing.
Cheers

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm unter the immpression that all hetererometrus spp can hiss, its' just easier to hear the bigger ones and you have to piss them really good to do this which is not adviseable cause it's stressfull to the animal

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fluid Filter said:
20 bones
not too shabby considering only one place in town sells scorpions.
reason why i tried not to buy it was im going to be moving into an apartment that might freak out if they find out. My land lord might not be as cool as yours sickpuppy.
uhhh who said that. My landlord knows about the emps. Thats it.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is it common in the Heterometrus genus for the medial eyes to be different in size from each other? Very impressive looking scorpion... how you can mis-identify that as a P. Imperator, I do not know!!!

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
i picked up a H. spinifer at a show, from a reputable dealer labeled as an emp for 5 bucks.. but since then they have always had mislabeled scorps and T's so i always make it a point to visit their table.. i told the guy twice that it wasnt an emp, and twice he told me yes it was.. so i bought it

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im not sure of any differences in the medial eyes but from what i gathered from G. Carnell's site is that the main differences between H. spinifer and H. laoticus is that H. laoticus are more heavily built and have a dark telson which seems to be the case with my recent addition.
Id love to go to shows and find some killer deals like you scorpdemon, but it seems like they're always at least one state away. It's either shipping or gas, both expensive.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi :)

as Eric said its almost certainly H.laoticus

the difference lies in that H.laoticus has no granulation on either side of the eyes; whereas other species have patches of granulation; EG: H.spinifer does

the only hiss ive heard from a Lao is a very short TSS when you pick them up etc etc :D

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The verdict is in, thanks everyone!

Thanks for pointing out that distinction G. Carnell, it will definately come in handy if i want to find him a mate later on. I can see why your so fond of the genus, they look awesome and have the attitude to back it up. You were right when you said on another thread that they're more aggressive at higher temps.